LR4s out there holding their value maybe more than just quite well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning: The next 2 steps on this journey are the impressive test drive followed by spending $80K to order one.

I've priced mine out at around $65k.

But I'm not in the market for another year or two. Besides, I still think the sweetspot for Land Rover ownership is buying a used CPO model. The first owner went through the initial headaches and big depreciation, and I get an extended warranty during the period where a lot of the big-money fixes come in.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both BMW and Audi make great AWD SUVs if you are ok with not having the CDP/stadium seating type of features.

And if you are ok with being stranded on the side of the road in your Audi on a ski trip to VT on a cold winter night. Once my Defender build went over $80K I considered the new SQ7 as well. Insanely fast, beautiful interior, so much technology. Then the *** moment hit me - regular tires (not run flats) and no spare tire. Even if AAA shows up, not much they can do to help you. Plus it has an odd tire size that no tire shop would have on hand.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frame being replaced within only fourteen years of service is really not a good example of durability and longevity and should not be acceptable for a $45k-51k plus product (a lot more money at the time and equivalent to what a D5 /Defender costs today) from a prestige, luxury, expensive brand, even if it lived in a harsh snow/road salt environment such as new england, etc, a setting where this LR product was really supposedly designed, engineered, and meant to dwell in.

It's not unique to the LR. When I was looking at 2016-18 LC200's, they suffer from equally bad rust underneath from salted roads - on a car that costs $80k+. The valve body for their KDSS is evidently made from cast iron and rusts extremely easily - there are countless threads from owns unable to bleed the system due to fused shut grub screws after relatively low mileage.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder when the LR4 will be seen as just too old to bother with by those who want to daily drive one and looked at instead as a semi-collectible for examples well cared for with low miles.

At that point, good samples may be even more rare than usual given that at this point, so many years after production, most models are not as sought-after. What I mean is that in 5 years, finding any LR4 with under 100k miles will be pretty freakin' rare and more rare than usual for a typical vehicle model population of that age and type.

the market for old land rovers has always seemed strong to me. I’ve had 13 now and have never lost money on one...I always buy used and am mechanically inclined, so trucks with over 100k that are well cared for and lived life in the south don’t scare me at all. My last ‘95 Range Rover classic, I bought for $6k and sold for $12k. It had 135k on it when I bought it.

My 2010 LR4 has 150k on it and I’ve maintained it well. It’s as trouble free as any other vehicle I’ve owned (except my wife’s Honda Odyssey).

I believe wholeheartedly and have seen it countless times, if you maintain a vehicle well and keep good records, someone who is likeminded won’t think twice before buying a high mileage vehicle from you.

Me, I’m not selling my LR4 anytime soon, even if you offered me well over what I paid for it. It’s hands down my favorite vehicle I’ve ever owned

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me, I’m not selling my LR4 anytime soon, even if you offered me well over what I paid for it. It’s hands down my favorite vehicle I’ve ever owned

We ordered ours new for ~$60k. Considering the low mileage (45k) and that it's a late 2013 HSE LUX with the HD pgk (and Black Design pkg or whatever that was called) that has never been offroad and is meticulously maintained, I'm pretty sure I could get somewhere around half of what I paid if am patient enough.

But I have zero plans to sell it and going forward we will likely put under 5k miles per year. So we expect to keep it for a LONG time.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We ordered ours new for ~$60k. Considering the low mileage (45k) and that it's a late 2013 HSE LUX with the HD pgk (and Black Design pkg or whatever that was called) that has never been offroad and is meticulously maintained, I'm pretty sure I could get somewhere around half of what I paid if am patient enough.

But I have zero plans to sell it and going forward we will likely put under 5k miles per year. So we expect to keep it for a LONG time.

I’ll give you 1/2 of what you paid for it... then I’ll be twice as happy. Hahahahaha

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beats me why LR felt the need to offer TDV6 in RRS but not in a model in the entire lineup that needed it the most, aka LR4.

The availability of the Td6 in the D5 was the main reason I ordered one in 2017. I would have looked at LRs in previous years if they had been available with diesels in the U.S. Pardon me for offending you with a photo of my D5, which (IMHO) looks better with Lucky 8 rock sliders.

Rock Sliders3.jpg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think the D5 is an "ugly" vehicle per se, it's just not as good looking or unique as the D4. The back is not good and it just blends with the crowd. It lacks some character, IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72