MAF Sensor : D1 (94) : no CE light?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i am been playing with prototype for snorkel, and ran truck with hole assembly hooked up to see how suction goes for air. And RPMs were somewhere slighly under 1000 after cold start. I been extending/shortening line - no change.

Then i finally shut truck down and only then realized that its been running with MAF sensor completely disconnected (well i took plug off).

How the heck i didnt get Check Engine Light is beyound me. Does it mean that in general i can bypass bloody thing on 94 D1?!. Or something in me truck is totally toasted by P/O and i am not getting CE at all (i.e shall i try to **** meself right now?:)).

PS: nope, havent made snorkel fully functional - need to investigate some more. However i figured out one interesting thing on how to survive without full blown snorkel, but i need CFM data for air suction in 3.9L LR engine - how many it really gets. If you happen to know - please do tell.

Last edited:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of the setup so far?

Parts list? Installation description? :biggrin:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - no way :) I been beaten up for publishing pics of me earlier version of "cold air intake" enough :). In general it turns out to be dead simple - 2" PVC with elbows, clamps and 2 1/2 (or something like that) reinforced hoose thingy, plus me old cone filter on the top. Idea is to use hoose as bridge between MAF, through hood bit (i am not fond of going via fender presently - have no clue to get bloody thing off) , then clamp on PVC (about 2') on the A pillar to not block site.

My old air box is pretty much hacked to death, so there isnt much chance of doing snorkel --> old airbox set up... So my issue is that not only intake itself is longer, but also filter is way up on food chain..

D

DISCVRY

About your CE light not coming on. I have noticed on my '96 D1 that if I have had a reoccuring error, it may take as much as 150 miles after resetting the light before the light would come on again.

Probably because the ECU is trying all kinds of combinations to recalibrate within bounds, and each calibration takes a few miles to sort out. ---Maybe not :confused:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reed - hmm.. makes sense in a way. Reason why i was wandering is that we all keep hearing them horror stories on how MAF went bad and light lit. So you would think there is some kind of circuit check for MAF been even presented in system :) Thanks for experience sharing!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM