Million $$$ Question, what to do with my aging LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as well and am going through the same mental process of figuring out what would suit me as a replacement. Nothing but an LR4 will do, I think. This all comes about as I'm having $1600 worth of front wheel bearings, calipers and pads installed. This also happens at the same time as I'm now driving on a failed inspection sticker because the damn check engine light came on which I understand is an oxygen sensor that gets finnicky at high mileage (just turned 100k). I'm fixing the girl up, I'm going to use her as she's intended, and will look for a newer LR4 under warrantee. Either that or I'm going to buy a reasonable coupe and an old Defender as my toy.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening gents,
Coming up on 10 years for my LR3 and not sure what to do. As I would love an LR4, I can't spring the $70K for the (loaded) one I want. My LR3 does have it's issues but nothing major yet. Looking at other vehicles, but it's tough to find a suitable replacement...
This thread runs a similar topic. You'll probably find it interesting;
What to do, what to do...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as well and am going through the same mental process of figuring out what would suit me as a replacement. Nothing but an LR4 will do, I think. This all comes about as I'm having $1600 worth of front wheel bearings, calipers and pads installed. This also happens at the same time as I'm now driving on a failed inspection sticker because the damn check engine light came on which I understand is an oxygen sensor that gets finnicky at high mileage (just turned 100k). I'm fixing the girl up, I'm going to use her as she's intended, and will look for a newer LR4 under warrantee. Either that or I'm going to buy a reasonable coupe and an old Defender as my toy.

Drop a can of sea foam in it or BG44k and drive it for a week, see if the light goes out.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To date, the Grand Cherokee Overland is best successor with about a $20-25K less price tag. .

A new Overland with quadra drive and a V8 was about $50K when I used the "build & price" feature on the Jeep website. You can certainly find a low mileage, 1-owner, CPO, 2013 LR4 for that price. You can even buy a new 2015 HSE LR4 for $60K. That is just $10K more than the Jeep.

Land Rover always gets an undeserved, poor quality rating, but in the real world, everybody I know that bought a Jeep product has had many, many problems.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks tlt - I do use sea foam every oil change or so and it's an excellent product. I've also done the throttle body cleaning and am probably due for another treatment there.

The tech ran the diagnostic on it and it's a service bulletin - LTB00071. It was throwing an over-sensitive engine control module code - p0170/p0173 or p2097/p2099. Basically an LR dealer needs to re-configure the ECM but I'm not sure why my indie can't do that.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact boat. I'd like to get something 'new' but absolutely nothing makes sense. The 4runner was the closest to sway me, but it's lacking so much of the comforts that I've become used to. The TRD pro is cool, but for some reason, Toyota didn't want to give it real leather, push button start, or even a sunroof? Not to mention that somehow they do not depreciate, so a lightly used one (talking trail premium now) is within a grand or two of new.
I've considered getting a fun car of some sort, like a 3 series, but know I'd pretty much always opt for the LR. I've considered chopping the top and making it into a soft top, but that's just kind of stupid. I guess sooner or later I'll get an LR4 but can't wrap my head around getting virtually the same thing as I have now (only cheesier) and spending another at least $40k (for a lightly used one).

Long way to say, at least for now, I agree with Houm. Mine is a good one, I recently spent about $2500 and maybe total $3000 in 8 years of ownership. Another couple grand a year going forward isn't a big deal. I currently have a VVT knock on startup that I'm not worrying about, and original compressor that will probably quit sooner rather than later and a sunroof that has rattled since 2007.

Well sh*t, that changed quickly!
Called on a LR4 just for grins like I have several times in the last 6 months. Nara bronze 2011. It was sold but they had a Coris Grey 2013, certified HSE...I asked what options and jokingly said if it had HD, I'd buy it. Bottom line is I'm picking up a 2013 with HD pack this weekend. Better than new in my eyes, I have 4.5 years and 76k left on the warranty!

Not sure what I'm going to do with my LR3. For what they offered me on it, it's not worth it to get rid of....Bottom line, if anyone wants or knows someone who wants a very nice LR3 for somewhere in the $11-$12k range, let me know.

Sure didn't see this coming :eek:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats roverman and welcome to the 2013 club. I made a similar rush decision once the AC stopped working in my LR3.

I completely agree with getting an LR4 with a CPO warranty. I have a longer warranty on my LR4 than my wife's that we bought new.

Aside from the more powerful V8, you'll appreciate so many little things. No more squeaky inside door handles, more intermittent wiper speeds, nicer interior quality and improved dashboard layout. Oil changes are really easy once you buy a mityvac. As much as I like the look of the black bumpers and fender flares, the full body paint is a lot easier to wax and doesn't fade over time.

Enjoy your new LR4!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Paul! I'm still sitting here sort of perplexed at myself, but I'm sure it will be fun. I never had squeaky door handles, but good to hear it won't be a problem. Looking forward to the pushbutton start, the engine, and the better seats most of all. I might pull out the third row though, and convert back to 5 passenger - I like my storage nooks. I'm considering looking into getting some black fender flares, have to figure out if it will still look good with the painted bumpers. Also, I'll have to look into this 'wax' thing you speak of...
I guess it's off to study the tire threads, continentals aren't going to do it for very long.
pics coming when it's in my hands.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well sh*t, that changed quickly!
Called on a LR4 just for grins like I have several times in the last 6 months. Nara bronze 2011. It was sold but they had a Coris Grey 2013, certified HSE...I asked what options and jokingly said if it had HD, I'd buy it. Bottom line is I'm picking up a 2013 with HD pack this weekend. Better than new in my eyes, I have 4.5 years and 76k left on the warranty!

Not sure what I'm going to do with my LR3. For what they offered me on it, it's not worth it to get rid of....Bottom line, if anyone wants or knows someone who wants a very nice LR3 for somewhere in the $11-$12k range, let me know.

Sure didn't see this coming :eek:

nice man, congrats. i have a few calls in myself to test the waters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72