Miscellaneous LR4 accessories roof rack talk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've mentioned it, but I am buying a Thule 460 podium/square bar setup for my leased 3er wagon for the upcoming vacation (I have a Thule 1800 box). My plan is to re-use as much of that for the LR4. The fit kits are different, but my plan was to re-use the universal 460 podiums (podia), and the bar themselves.

Thule recommends 50" long bars for the BMW, but 58" bars for the LR4. Interestingly, in Europe they recommend 127cm, or 50" for the Discovery 4. It struck me as weird that the 50" would not fit, so I measured the distance between the flush rails on an LR4 at the dealer (along the leading edge of the front of the large glass on roof) and came up with about 44-45". Considering the podium goes IN from the rail, I can't see why you would need more than that, so the 50" should fit just fine (which checks with Europe). I saw an LR4 on the road with what clearly were the 58" and they stuck out a decent amount (though not objectionable).

My point is, why have more bar than you absolutely need? I'll let you know how that all works out.

I am definitely getting a tailgate ladder. I assume the OEM one is the best way to go. Is this true?

What is the best/cheapest place to get OEM LR accessories?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the Thule bars, as I am getting a big off-road full-length roof rack installed on Saturday. ;-)

As far as the ladder, I would definitely go with OEM. The other good option is the Voyager ladder, as that is what I had on my previous LR4. I know a couple other folks on the forum have that ladder and they had no problem with the fitting, but I know of two LR4 folks (including me) that had to modify the ladder a bit because the housing on the latch handle didn't quite go together as much as with the OEM ladder.

As far as the cheapest place, quite often eBay has great deals - but some of the big online LR dealers like BP Utah, Atlantic British, etc. can have good buys.

Good luck!

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635