Misfire after timing chain job 5.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Gissel

Reaction score
Here is an update. I dove back into the timing chains and found that I was a tooth off on the exhaust cam on bank two. I also discovered that I had not tensioned the chains correctly the first time around. So I remedied those things, and checked timing again. Everything lined up and all tools locked into place. I have since put the car back together, and once again I have cam correlation codes on bank 2 A & B. Is it possible that I am getting these codes because I’m dealing with bent valves on that head? Or am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.

rolledover

Reaction score
I was able to get the car started this evening. To answer your original question it idled correctly right away. I wouldn't think a bent valve would cause only camshaft correlation codes, you would be getting misfires as well. I had a burnt valve on cylinder 7 and was getting P0307 and p0316 codes, as well as a very lumpy idle. The misfire stopped at any rpms above idle. You could do a leak down test to see if there are any valve issues. Is it possible you've got wires crossed for the cam sensors on that timing cover? Maybe bad cam sensors? I'm not really sure, just trying to throw some ideas out there. Feel free to pm me and I can send you my number if you want to chat.

Scott Gissel

Reaction score
Thank you very much! Sorry I should have said that I’m having misfires down that whole bank as well as the correlation codes. My tensioner on that bank collapsed. That was the root cause of this whole problem. I was hoping that since the engine only ran like that for a few seconds that the valves would be ok. But I’m leaning towards bent valves at this point. Prior to the tensioner failure the engine had no error codes at all. And I have confirmed that the plugs are in the correct spot. I don’t think the sensors would have both failed at once. I will be doing a leak down test tomorrow or the next day. Thank you all for your help so far. I’ll update as things progress.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t seem like bent valves would give you the cam position errors. If the sensors are good then the timing must still be off somehow. Doesn’t mean you don’t also have a bent valve, so maybe do the leakdown test to rule that out. But I’m guessing something is still off in the timing system. If you are confident the timing was all lined up properly, then maybe it’s the VVTs (or the solenoids that control the VVTs). What specific codes are you seeing?

Scott Gissel

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response. I didn’t actually have cam correlation codes after the timing job. My cheap code reader had stored those codes from the initial event. Gap iid showed only misfires. I misunderstood what I was looking at between the 2.

So after doing a compression test, I found no compression on the bank 2 cylinder head. All but maybe 2 valves were bent. So I dropped the head off at a local machine shop, and we replaced all 16 valves and did a valve job. Over the weekend I reinstalled the head, and re timed the engine, and I’m happy to say that it fired right up and is running at the moment.
Just wanted to bring some closure to this thread. I really appreciate everyone’s input and guidance through this tough job.

Cheers

Scotty951

Reaction score
Here is an update. I dove back into the timing chains and found that I was a tooth off on the exhaust cam on bank two. I also discovered that I had not tensioned the chains correctly the first time around. So I remedied those things, and checked timing again. Everything lined up and all tools locked into place. I have since put the car back together, and once again I have cam correlation codes on bank 2 A & B. Is it possible that I am getting these codes because I’m dealing with bent valves on that head? Or am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.
So what is the correct way to tension the chain I thought you just pulled the pin

Scott Gissel

Reaction score
I followed the Jaguar method. After pulling the pin, the tensioner still has the ability to be pushed back a little bit. I applied considerable force to the tensioner blade with a pry bar until it ratcheted out one more click and couldn’t be pushed back in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut