Moved to the US & looking for a LR3 - advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pagoda

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just moved to the US from the UK where I've owned Discovery 3 and 4s since 2007, so I'm pretty familiar with the cars. I had to sell my D4 (LR4) as part of the move and already have withdrawal symptoms. So I'm looking at LR3s as I've heard the V8 is a good unit.

I wondered if there's a buying guide here somewhere for LR3s (if so could someone point me at it) and whether there are many members on the forum who have Faultmate FCRs over here? If so, is there anyone in NJ who has one:biggrin:

I'd be grateful for any buying advice (or a thread) for a LR3 V8. Although I know my way around the vehicles well, I'd like to get a mechanic to take a look over a prospective candidate and so wondered if there are any indys in Central NJ that anyone could recommmend.

Thanks in advance.

PAGODA

PS - if anyone knows of a forum member who is thinking of selling a decent LR3, please let me know.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am I am! (Selling) It's a 2005. 110.000 miles. Feel free to PM me

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been real happy with my '05. If Roverman's has only 110K on it, then he's gotten through all the kinks, firmware updates and sensor changes and it should be smooth sailing for the next 100K!

Pagoda

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Roverman, I'll pass on yours if that's OK. Mileage is a little high. Good luck selling her.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think 110k Miles is a little high? Good luck hunting. The newest LR3 out there is a 2010, which is 6 years old (almost 7). At 15,000 miles/year (fairly typical) that's 80,000 Miles.

...and of course price is inversely proportional to Miles.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess you will find a lower mileage around every so often but the owner will be asking a pretty proud price.
The way I figure it, mine really can't drop in value at this point so the only costs involved are fixing what breaks.

Be sure to stop in and let us know what you find!

Pagoda

Reaction score
You think 110k Miles is a little high? Good luck hunting. The newest LR3 out there is a 2010, which is 6 years old (almost 7). At 15,000 miles/year (fairly typical) that's 80,000 Miles.

...and of course price is inversely proportional to Miles.

There are a number of cars out there at far lower mileage.

Roverman - thanks. I've become pretty familiar with these over the years having owned a few, but haven't had much experience of the V8. The mileage thing is really only an issue for condition. I have no qualms about higher mileage cars, but would like the interior to be in as good a condition as I can find. That, and how much work the car needs. I saw a V8 at the weekend - one owner, 67k. The terrain selector didn't work (wasn't fuse 24, but it didn't produce a fault on the dash until I pulled the fuse, so something interesting going on there) and the rear passenger side door didn't lock on central locking. And the tires were shot, as evidence by the fact that I had a blow out whilst seeing how well it stopped hard going into a set of traffic lights. Interesting. Thankfully I'd pointed that out to the owner before I took it out.

So, that car needs some work, but the seller is an honest guy and has offered to get that all fixed beforehand.

I'm still looking though, as we're really after something with a light interior rather than black, and a dark exterior over silver, and xenons.

Pagoda

Reaction score
Oh, and I thought the change over between Disco 3 & 4 was 2009?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99