MPG's again. The dead horse is back....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, well I'll have to test it agin, but it seems that I get better mileage putting it neutral and coasting instead of leaving it in gear. Maybe it's because the engine breaking makes it so that I have to apply a little gas to keep up to spend, whereas when coasting I stay the speed limit?

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm_Wa,
Both ends of the trip are pretty close to 5,200 ft. The trip crosses the Continental Divide at around 7,200 ft. It feels like the grades on both sides are similar, but going south (the direction that uses less fuel) seems slightly steeper. Remember, when I refuel in Albuquerque I use about 20 gallons for the whole trip and when I don't refuel in Albuquerque it is closer to 18 gallons. I make this trip every couple of months and the numbers always work out about the same.

David

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, well I'll have to test it agin, but it seems that I get better mileage putting it neutral and coasting instead of leaving it in gear. Maybe it's because the engine breaking makes it so that I have to apply a little gas to keep up to spend, whereas when coasting I stay the speed limit?
Yep - if you have to apply any gas at all it makes it not worth it.

Give it a try - let us know what you find out.

-Rich

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge