LRNA comes thru finally but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So, about 2 years ago, i was in the same situation, but from a different viewpoint. I had a 2012 loaded grand cherokee overland. I had problems right from the start, but about 7 months in, the air suspension failed. after 1 month of failed attempts to fix, i found the # of the lemon law department on the web and within 30 days I got my money back. 100% + interest that I paid, they didn't even reduce the amount by the miles I put on the car. Couldn't have asked for a more reasonable and helpful bunch of people. They were as good as the local service department was bad. I ordered a LR4 the day after I got the check from Chrysler....

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice.

Surfrider, there is too much to list (i think i posted in another thread what I noticed was wrong at the time), but in short what I can remember now:

At the time of delivery, noticed that bumper wasn't fitted correctly (sticking out and not flushed on passenger side), car went to the shop for the next fifteen days, car comes back with bumper fitted correctly but the front grille being slightly off, I never brought that to their attention, too many other things to worry about (not fully fixed).

Steering wheel rubbing/friction/hissing noise, in the shop for three four days, dealership unable to zero in on the cause, dealership in touch with LR engineers, then parts get replaced, but after few months the noise has come back, have notified them (not fixed).

Intermittent steering knock (I posted youtube videos for you guys and LRNA), several attempts/visits so far at three dealerships to get it recognized first, was lucky to have been able to demo it to FSE and the shop foreman at the last dealership, sincere attempts have been made to fix the problem by them but the noise is still there, not as often though, control arms have been replaced etc, (not fully fixed).

A clunking noise from under the chassis every now and then when pulling into a driveway etc, was able to demo to the service and they recognized the issue but not able to fix yet (not fixed)

Rear door top black piece (where the center brake light is) not installed correctly, sticks out on one side not sitting flush, service says its a bit more involved and requires taking apart more parts, left as is per our discussion (not fixed).

AC air starts to smell after a few months. I was advised that the AC Ducts were left un-coated for smoke/smog/fumes/smell protection (on a VIN range) by the part supplier/vendor. Service says replacing the parts requires the whole dash taking apart, one solution is to blow the ducts with pressure hose, per our discussion we chose second option, car comes back with a nasty smell (matter used with the hose) that goes away after several days. The original smell is not fully gone. Also, after the repair I noticed for the first time that AC wasn't really cooling that efficiently when I was on the freeway a couple of months ago on a really hot day, this had never happened before. Hopefully a sensor or something wasn't knocked out of its original place during the process of repair. (not really fixed).

Radio and AC knobs rough, first two dealerships unable to fix/recognize, third dealership recognizes and fixes the issue after two attempts, parts replaced twice (fixed).

Second row middle seat head rest crooked, car goes to upholstery shop, some what better (not fully fixed).

Second row passenger side seat not installed/seated properly, car goes to upholstery shop, they adjust the middle seat cushion to align all seats, not a real solve but better (not fully fixed).

Steering wheel not centered on the day of delivery, total number of attempts at three dealerships to get this simple task done: Six. Still not fully centered but better (still not fully fixed).

DC plug cover lose, first dealership does something without replacing the part, it fixes it for a while but its now lose again (not fixed),

Driver side roof channels rubber strip not installed correctly, first attempt tries to reinstall the existing part, second attempt is to replace the part (now fixed).

Dash fascia stitching (or hard board/wood under it) crooked, part ordered, but more involved and requires the whole dash to be taken apart per service, per our discussion left alone as is (not fixed).

I have also noticed the spar tire not sitting flush and evenly, have not brought it to their attention yet.

Thats all I can remember now. I cannot even begin to tell you guys how much time I have wasted in service visits, phone calls, emails/pictures, my own research on TSBs (as first couple of dealerships didn't even fully recognize them), driving loaners for car being in the shop for days and days every few weeks/days etc. All this for a brand new truck from the day I picked it up.

epicLR4, I have responded to your PM.

danrhiggins, thanks for your advice, I can certainly wait but here is the problem, it seems like the LRNA marketing is just adamant on *&#@ing things up. Really? running boards as standard equipment? Looking at the press release, there is not much hope. If I really saw something in the future and were to wait, then I'd get my refund, pick up a cheaper smaller car interim while I wait for the next iteration to arrive. But I really dont see anything different for MY15. I could probably live with SCV6 as if I was able to live with 300 horse of my LR3 with the thought of getting the 8-speed as makeup factor. But this shifter knob business with a large blingtrim piece around it just sucks for me (sorry to keep ranting on it, I understand it works for others, jsut not for me).

As far as used LR4, I dont want to pay high cost for a used one if the demand is high right now as rovernut mentions, cuz that would be a temporary vehicle for me until LR marketing/design team gets it together.

So I am trying my best to figure out how to keep myself in an LR4. Even this morning as I drove to a coffee shop, I enjoyed the smooth drive of the truck. But what has plagued my enjoyment/ownership of this car is all these little/big annoyance/issues. There is just too many things that were wrong out of the gate on this particular car of mine.

Last edited:

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been traveling so I'm sorry I couldn't clarify...posting of VIN is so other board members will know its been a "problematic" truck and be wary if they see it on the used market.

With regard to used pricing, just go search ebay, cars direct.com or auto trader and see what the asking prices are for 2012/13 LR4's ($46k - $59k w/ under 20k miles on ebay...I've seen a few lower mileage HSE LUX's for over $62k...).

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats all I can remember now. I cannot even begin to tell you guys how much time I have wasted in service visits, phone calls, emails/pictures, my own research on TSBs (as first couple of dealerships didn't even fully recognize them), driving loaners for car being in the shop for days and days every few weeks/days etc. All this for a brand new truck from the day I picked it up.

This is by far the worst part of all. That and when the vehicle ruins your plans and you are no where near your home. It basically controls your life because you never know what will happen next. Glad you have gotten your situation on the right track.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is by far the worst part of all. That and when the vehicle ruins your plans and you are no where near your home. It basically controls your life because you never know what will happen next. Glad you have gotten your situation on the right track.

Exactly. Back in April, I had an out of town business trip planned. A four hour drive each way, the stay was a week long, so I decided to drive instead of flying for various reasons. The car was in the shop for some of the aforementioned issues, I was supposed to pick it up on saturday and leave on sunday so I could get there sunday evening, rest overnight, and be ready and fresh for monday morning meetings.

So I go to pickup the car and as I start driving, the steering wheel is totally off-centered. Its 4:00 pm or so on saturday, some of the service crew is already gone, and sunday the service is closed. I could have, but I really didn't want to leave for a 600 mile long drive with the crooked steering wheel. I had to cancel my plans of leaving on sunday, stayed home on sunday waiting for monday while fuming over this whole thing, drove to the service first AM monday morning, got it straightened out (shop foreman apologetic, etc.), left the dealership around noon, got home and picked up my stuff for the trip, hit the road but also hit the weekday traffic which I would have avoided had I left on sunday, and by the time I got there it was already night. So I ended up missing a day of meetings on monday.

I cannot even begin to tell you how what type of frustration and anger I experienced that weekend.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, manoftaste, you have been through an annoying journey with your LR4!

I certainly don't blame you for being uncertain about what to do next. I've had my 2013 for one year and have just hit 8,000 miles with no issues at all, but I am always nervous about things to come.

I love my LR4 and hope to keep it long term, but every once in a while I think about selling it and getting something else - just because I am a little crazy.

My friend drove my LR4 to his dealership (not Land Rover) and a guy there really wanted to buy my truck on the spot for $70,000. I almost did it! :)

Keep us posted.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...the steering wheel is totally off-centered. Its 4:00 pm or so on saturday, some of the service crew is already gone, and sunday the service is closed.

Seems like both of you (epic as well as you) may have dealer problems along with the issues with the car. How does one put the steering wheel on cockeyed? Or, rather, how does a good service rep do that? And who does the quality checks on the service? Did they think you wouldn't notice?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez. Sounds like a painful ordeal to say the least!

My 2013 with 22k KM (13.6k miles) has only really had an audio gremlin where the subwoofer fails to turn on until you manually adjust the subwoofer volume. If you then push the slider 1 up or down it magically turns itself on. Annoying, sure, but nothing like what you have had to deal with!!

Best of luck with whatever you do next.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72