My LR4 - Musings on Long Road Trips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am going on year 2 of owning my 2013 LR4. It has been a great experience for me, with very few(if any) reliability issues. I do 5k oil changes, did the LCAs, trans fluid+pan, both coolant crossover pipes+water pump(pre-emptively) and replaced the battery(also pre-emptively). Otherwise, it has been rock solid. I live in DC and have access to a mountain cabin in Snowshoe, WV which I go to frequently(winter, spring and summer). It is a 230 mile drive and I take the same exact route every time, which is 35% highway and 65% mountain roads. Some are very curvy, with 20mph curves, especially at the end of the drive. It never ceases to amaze me how great of a road-trip this vehicle is. The air suspension makes it float over bumps and in most curves and it can do things that such a heavy vehicle(~6300lbs with me+a few people, cargo and giant dog in the back) has no business doing. There are parts of the route where I average 85-90 on straight sections of mountain roads and its comfortable, quiet, brakes are strong and reassuring and it just makes me want to keep driving forever. Everything just meshes well together - the steering is precise and direct, the body structure is tight and the seats are soft and comfortable, yet supportive. The sport mode of the ZF trans is an absolute gem on these roads, keeping the gears reasonable and downshifting quickly for passing slow vehicles. While I still wish I had the 510hp SC engine(mostly to make passing 3-4 cars in a row easier), this V8 is rather decent. Also, this past Friday, I ended up driving through white-out blizzard conditions. While I had to keep the speed reasonable, it felt very confident and never gave me any issues. I truly look forward to every single road trip with this truck and just felt like sharing. It will be hard to find a true all-weather replacement for it once the time comes. I will want another one for sure. Maybe a late 2016 with the HD package and then add a pulley+tune to it. Who knows..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut