Navigation System - Please HELP !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

Colt45

Hello everyone. I've had my new LR3 about a week and already have about 900 miles on it. - - - But, I'm having a problem with the navigation system and hope you can help me determine if there's some glitch in my system or if it's an 'operator error' caused by not knowing exactly how to run things. - - - I've been reading through the manual I got entitled "LR3 Navigation System". On page 24 of this manual they mention what you need to do to select among various "Route Guidance Screen Types", but I have only been able to switch between the 'single map mode' which shows one map of the route and the 'dual map mode' that has an insert map that is a magnified view. When the row of icons is shown with the various screen options, I am unable to choose from among the others mentioned in the manual including the 'turn list mode' , 'arrow mode", "guidance screen", and "freeway information" screens. - - - In addition, the line on the screen which lists "Vehicle current position" in text has never shown up on my screen (this is item 2 on page 20 of the manual). Finally, - - I can't seem to be able to get the navigation system to give me verbal directions of when to make turns. I actually missed a turn because I had been waiting for the voice prompt. I thought I had turned on the voice guidance and I have even used the voice recognition to give this command verbally - and the system verbally repeated that voice guidance is on, but the only voice guidance I get is when I get to my destination the system says that I have arrived - - - no other directions come earlier than this. - - - - - When I did a demo drive with the salesman (in another vehicle, not the one I actually bought - my vehicle was shipped to Washington state from California), I do recall that the navigation system could be set up to give voice prompts of turns and I believe that the turns list, etc. could be brought up on the screen, if I'm remembering the demo correctly. - - - So am I doing something wrong, or do you think I might have some kind of navigation system problem - - software or hardware ? Thanks in advance for your help with this. The navigation system was one of the things that really sold me on the LR3 and I'm a bit frustrated that I can't seem to get mine to work like the salesman did. - - - Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colt45

I went to the dealership today and drove around with my salesman to see if we could figure out what is going on. - - Turns out it wasn't operator error. We tried three different nav program disks and couldn't get the system to operate the way it should. -- I'm out of town next week, but will bring it in the week after to get the thing repaired. - -

C

Colt45

Thought I'd post a follow up here - - I took my LR3 into the shop to have the Nav system fixed. Other work was being done on the bumper, so while the shop couldn't run on-road tests (not legal to drive without bumper) they did in-shop trouble shooting and couldn't find any problems. So, after the bumper was back on at the end of the day, the Shop Foreman and another tech continued to troubleshoot the nav system on their own time and took it out on the road where the malfunctions were confirmed. - - It looks like we'll need another controller unit (the unit located under the seat). It will be here soon and the guys will install the new unit. - - - Here's a 'thumbs up' and 'atta boy' to Allen Vokovich, Shop Foreman and the techs at Bellevue Land Rover - Jaguar (in Washington state) ! I was very impressed by their determination to do whatever neccessary to take care of the customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colt45

My LR3 has been in the shop two full days this week to fix the earlier problem with the navigation system. - - A new controller unit (located under the seat) was ordered and installed. - - - Sigh . . . its still not working right. The service adviser said they had been on the phone to Land Rover several times to try and troubleshoot this. - - - I asked him what the next step was and his reply was "I don't know." Hmmmmm - that didn't sound good. I don't know if the service advisor just didn't know the details of what the service guys plan to do next, or if they're just throwing up their hands now and giving up. - - Theyre keeping the car over the weekend (it was too late on a Friday afternoon to battle traffic to pick it up.) Hopefully, everyone will be able to go at it with fresh minds on Monday. - - - This darn Nav unit cost too much for it not to work the was it is supposed to !

S

seattym

sorry to hear about all of the problems with the navigation system.

we've had our SE since Dec '04 and haven't had any problems w/ the nav system. Our previous car was a Honda Ody w/ nav and we loved that system. LR system's UI is a litle quircky but we've gotten use to it.

C

Colt45

Unfortunately, the nav system problem kept my new LR3 in the shop for over 2 weeks and its still not fixed. - - They put in a new controller and today put in a new computer screen. Between 2 weeks on vacation and 2+ weeks in the shop, I haven't gotten a lot a time to drive it since buying it about a month and a half ago. Sigh - - Maybe they'll figure things out this week.

C

Colt45

LR3 has been in shop for a total of about 3 weeks while they have been working to fix the nav system. The controller (under the seat), and screen have been replaced with no success. - - - Now they are going to replace the antenna and the cables. I don't really see what this has to do with the fact that not all the map & voice guidance functions are working, since the unit displays the map image fine. - - But who knows, I'm not a technician. - - - I just hope theyre not reduced to doing 'troubleshooting by parts replacement'. It takes too much time to order and receive new parts and then put them in ! My local dealer techs seem to be doing all they can. They've been in constant phone contact with Land Rover Tech Support. - - - It's up to someone at LR to figure out how to fix this thing, or talk to some wiz kid at the company who made the nav unit to have them help troubleshoot it. 3 weeks is a long time in the shop !

C

Colt45

Thought I'd post here to let everyone know I got my LR3 back from the shop after 4 weeks of their working on the body/paint issues and the faulty nav system. - - The problems with the nav (no voice guidance and some of the screen options weren't coming up) seems to have been caused by the cabling. - - I just got back from a long trip to Montana and all seems to be working well. Since I didn't have the vehicle for about a month, I haven't had enough time to work the nav system and learn all the functions properly, but it seems to be fully functional. - - - The LR3 cruised down the Montana mountain highways running smoothly at 80 mph - and I got 18.6 miles per gallon which I was impressive on this trip. The feel of the vehicle on the highway is completely solid and confidence inspiring. - - I pulled out the third row seating and we were able to comfortably fit the entire family of adults and kids on several outings to view buffalo and various Montana sights. All in all, I am very pleased. - - -

F

funkeruski

What body/paint issues did you have on your new LR3. Did it come like that from the factory? I recently purchased a Maya Gold LR3 and have noticed dark "blotches" under the clearcoat on the hood. Mostly visible at dusk when sun is going down. Is your paint issue similar?

C

Colt45

The paint problems I had involved paint peeling from the front bumper. New parts were ordered and replaced and all is well now. - - - In addition, after 4 weeks they figured that the problem I was having with the nav system was isolated to cabling. The nav seems to be working correctly now (I haven't had enough time operating the nav to discover any glitches yet.) I just got back from a trip to Montana and the LR3 performed very well on the freeway and on small back dirt roads. I was very pleased to get 17.6 miles per gallon doing 80 mph on mountain highways. - -

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM