New Brakes At 50,000 Miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorsett

Reaction score
My '05 LR3 just had its 52,500 mile service. All is well.

The dealership said the brake pads have about 3,000 to 6,000 miles left. He offered to replace the pads and brakes now, for $1,400. Or, I could wait until the replace brake notice appeared on the dashboard. I asked why I couldn't simply replace the brake pads now, and keep the rotors. The brakes work well, and there are no noises or indication of scouring. (I read the previous post on best pads to use. Why don't dealers tell us that the existing sensors will work with new pads?)

The rep told me that these are heavy vehicles and the brakes need to be replaced every 30,000 to 50,000 miles.

I'm skeptical (and shocked). Is the dealer right? Do LR3s need an entire set of new brakes every 50,000 miles, even if nothing is wrong.

Thanks.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would be proud of my rover, and my lead foot if I actually got 50K out of my brakes. Tons of threads on opinions about brakes. look around this forum to save some money and get some good brakes. as usual, I recommend EBC and a good mechanic you trust. forget the stealer unless you want to pay.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the rig in for a "once over" at about 48,500 miles...I basically stretched for some things for the dealer to take a look at before my warranty ended. They told me that my pads in the rear had 20% left and my fronts had 50%. They suggested that I change the rears so that I would NOT have to change the rotor. They said that as long as you catch it before 10% your rotors would be okay. They charged me about $300 (+tax) to do the rears.

I think that was pretty fair. I don't know why there is such inconsistency in LR dealers but it's sad to hear about how some try to really screw customers and others are really great. I'm happy with mine (Seattle) and I hope Tony Dorsett can get some fair treatment too

....sorry, I HAD to! :)

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50K! Wish I'd got that far. $1,200 might be as low as a dealer will go. I was quoted $1,800 and negotiated for a lower price. Sounds like your guy is giving you a fairly straight story, though.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cost is straight but I am not sure the rotors really need to be changed.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's above my pay grade. Rotors aren't supposed to be disposable, but I just had mine done at 30K. Then again, I've never had a vehicle as heavy as an LR3 and I'm happy to have as much stopping power as possible.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are going to keep it for a long time see if midas or someone with one of those life time brake shops will do it. or just do it ourself brakes are about as easy as changing your oil only you dont have to pour ianything down the drain :)

lfr

Reaction score
remember braking is important good trusty mechanic and parts if need to change do so

Hollywood619

Reaction score
The need to change the rotors is an easy one. Look at the rotors or consult your manual for the minimum rotor thickness. If you are close to minimum or mathematically would reach that point before your next brake pad change then I would change them with the pads. There are how-tos if you are a little mechanically inclined, otherwise take it to an independent shop. You didn't mention if you have the extended warranty, if so you will have to pony up at the dealer or they may void any warranty on the parts you change yourself.

TRD4ME

Reaction score
If your first set of brakes is at 30k, you are doing better than most. I've seen brake pads in the front on a Sport down to 2mm with 7,800 miles on the car. No joke. All depends on your driving habits. Needing front and rear pads and front rotors by 30k is by no means uncommon. And by 'needing' I mean that they have been measured, and are underneath the printed 'minimum spec' stamped on the rotor for the actual width of the disc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM