New dash cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed information, Umberto. Installed a "SpyTec" A119 dashcam this afternoon, using your wiring guide. Easy job that could have been a big headache if I had to figure out the correct wire myself.

Stealther

Reaction score
Nice! I installed the Blacksys CH100B dual cam setup in mine. I like the low profile design and the built in voltage management for parking mode. Here are a few pics of how it looks close up and from the front of the truck. Hard to see.

I also included a shot of the rear which turned out clean - running the camera cable thru the existing wire loom was a bit*h but worth it IMO. Note the square cutout in the rear window tint so as to not impact the nighttime performance any more than necessary. The camera field of view was marked out for the tinters before they put the film on.
IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3004.JPG
IMG_3005.JPG

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@umbertob The addition of the 12v socket was pretty ingenious. I plan on doing the same, so the red wire of the socket goes on the green/white and the black of the socket goes to the bolt, correct? Also, did you install a socket in the rear or did you just use a hardwire kit? I'm thinking about installing a socket back there for my rear camera and like you said, ease of compatibility for future cameras. Thank you!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do, but, to be honest, I haven't pulled the memory chip out of it in quite a while to check the videos.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of all the mods I have thought of doing, this one never even entered my mind.
I can see some of the reasons why this setup could be beneficial...

I'm just curious what the primary motivations where for those of you rocking these setups?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iSurfvilano, yes that's the correct hookup for the 12V socket over the front console, red / positive to the green/white wire and black / negative to a grounding point (the bolt.) I hardwired the rear cam to a splice on the back of the 12V socket in the trunk, since the rear cam doesn't need any transformer and works on 12V.

backcountryLR4, I purchased the cameras originally to document my trips off-road for my local LR club and to share with friends. I have tons of fun videos on a variety of trails. Since then, these cameras have also gotten me off one BS traffic ticket (I brought the video to traffic court to show the judge, and got the case against me dismissed), so they've definitely paid for themselves. I always think they could be useful to document the dynamics of an accident in the future - God forbid someone rear ends me, hit and run, etc. It's peace of mind mostly, and since you set and forget them these cameras are always there taping until you actually need the video for whatever reason.

You never know when or how that may be: just 2 days ago I used footage of the same stretch of road on two separate days (the day before and the day after a big rain storm here in Los Angeles) to prove to the gardeners of our gated community that a couple of large trees in the common area outside of our gate were slowly and dangerously toppling over the street due to all the rain - they originally claimed the trees "were always slanted that way" but sound and well rooted, and there was nothing to worry about... The morning after I submitted the video to the HOA it rained again, and the trees came crashing down on the road. Luckily, no damage to people, cars or other property, although the road was partially blocked for several hours while a crew cut up and cleaned up the mess. I'm proud to say, my camera almost saved the day, LOL.

IMG_2779.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV