New look for my 19's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feeling like a little change of pace and not wanting to spend too much money on mods. I went to the local parts store and picked up a can of Duplicolor primer, graphite wheel paint, and clear.

Since I didnt have access to a lift I had to do this the long and tedious way, ONE wheel at a time prep paint reinstall repeat 4x

Cleaning was long, but to get a good surface it's all in the prep work.

IMAG0020-vi.jpg

Then came the wet sanding, I used 360 sand paper and scuffed up the surface in preparation for the painting

IMAG0021-vi.jpg

Primer on:
IMAG0016-vi.jpg

Dont worry the over spray was easily handled afterwards

Paint on
IMAG0019-vi.jpg

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took care of the center caps as well
IMAG0018-vi.jpg

IMAG0023-vi.jpg

And here's the finished product!
IMAG0024-vi.jpg

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very nice! i have been debating on doing this in matte black on an extra set of HSE 19" wheels that i am hoping to put some MTR's on for off road use. how long do you think it took you to finish each wheel? did you do your lugs as well? my other thought is taking it to a powder coater, but the cheapest i can find in dallas is $80 per wheel.

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow here it's 45/wheel but that's w/ my hook up...it took me from start between 12:30-1PM and finished around 5PM for 3 wheels a little over an 1hr a wheel?

this would be great to do for offroad dedicated wheels IMO

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I really like how that turned out. Were the duplicolor paints in a spray can and was the color of the finish just called "graphite" or was there a specific name? Did you also spray the inside of the rims?

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome, been meaning to coat my five spokes with black but haven't gotten around to it, glad to see the Duplicolor worked very well

BTW did you accidentally spray over one of the LR logos on that one center cap? (Whoops)

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I really like how that turned out. Were the duplicolor paints in a spray can and was the color of the finish just called "graphite" or was there a specific name? Did you also spray the inside of the rims?

It's actually called "graphite" http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html. I didnt paint the inside as these the backs were just really messed up by the preivious owner. I cleaned as much as i could but some of the brake dust had really done it's deed. You cant tell unless you look up close that i didnt get the inside.

Looks awesome, been meaning to coat my five spokes with black but haven't gotten around to it, glad to see the Duplicolor worked very well

BTW did you accidentally spray over one of the LR logos on that one center cap? (Whoops)

no hehe that was masked off :)

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work! Be interesting to see if it holds up to daily abuse!

Do you have any profile pcis from before the mod? Boy, I wish we would have found a white LR3.

J.D.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, I'd do mine but would take forever to clean all the caked on brake dust

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72