New Rock Sliders Saved my LR3's bacon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
:biggrin:I just returned from the '07 Land Rover National Rally in Montrose, CO. Before going I had spoken to Adam Spiker of Off Roving who about some new sliders he and Rover Specialties were finalizing. Adam leads multi-day training/wheeling experiences for owners of new body style Rovers and I had met him at last year’s Rally. He and Scott Monico at Rover Specialties offered me the first set of production Rover Specialities Stage 3 sliders with free installation if I had them installed by the Rover Specialties guys at the show (and put the Rover Specialties badge on my truck for the weekend).

Not only do these sliders look great but they saved my bacon. On "The Wall" (a class 8 obstacle on the Poukipsie Gultch trail outside Montrose, CO) I took an aggressive line up a part of the rock face that I had conquered 2 days earlier on my first attempt but this time it had rained and was slippery. Three quarters the way up I lost traction (in spite of my MT/R's and lockers). When the truck slid down and sideways into a large rock outcropping all I could hear was the sliders and the attached under body armour take a big hit I just thought….”damn that sounds expensive.”

Once I backed off the obstacle I inspected the damage and other than a small dent in the outer nerf bar I was damage free. Without the sliders I would have been looking at EXTENSIVE damage to both my passenger door and the rocker panels (I know this from prior experience on Lower Helldorado in Moab with Bill Burke).

So if you do any real off-roading where boulders, trees or rock gardens are a factor you would be well advised to seriously consider these sliders before you have to shell out for the repair bills.

On an aside. I spent a day wheeling with Adam Spiker (Off Roving) during the LRNR and I gotta say it was one of the best days of wheeling I have done in the 2 and a half years since I bought my LR3. I have as much experience as anyone with an LR3 but Adam showed me a few new tricks.

This guy knows how to wheel in these new style Rovers (LR3, RRS, RRFS). Because of the unique technology, suspension and design these new Rovers need a whole new approach to how you pick a line and how you proceed up tricky obstacles. I have taken Bill Burke's 2 day course and have done extensive wheeling in challenging terrain (stuff that long time Rover owners said my "grocery getter" was not capable of) and I am still learning about these new trucks. Kudos to guys like Adam for compressing the learning curve and making better Rover drivers out of those of us that choose to do serious wheeling in the new Rovers. Oh ya, he Adam is a great guy to hang with and makes the experience of wheelin with him a real pleasure.

Attachments

• SMALL 2 wheels on the ground and still movin up The Wall.JPG
    SMALL 2 wheels on the ground and still movin up The Wall.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 172
  • SMALL corkscrew 2.jpg
    SMALL corkscrew 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 169

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...where/how did you get the MT/R's !?!??!?!

PLEASE tell us ! :)

Reaction score
MT/R's

My dealership brought some in. I got the last 6. No more until GY decides to sell them in North America. Check out the new Coopers if you are interested in serious mud tires. I saw a set at an event in Montrose. They look kick ass! Adam Spiker at Off Roving is the contact I have for them. I am not sure if they are widely available yet as I don't see them on their web site yet but Spiker might be able to help [email protected] is the email contact I have for him. Otherwise I have seen nothing for a LR3 that is a true mud tire. If you know of any please reply with your info. Cheers!

Attachments

• Small mud1.jpg
    Small mud1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, Adam is spelled N A T H A N, right?

Reaction score
And OF COURSE my buddy Nathan Woods was the one who made the introduction to Adam in the first place. The sliders that I have are a production version of the sliders Nathan was lucky enough to get one year ago. Thanks for the heads up buddy!

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kudos to Nathan and Adam! Great guys, both of them....Just got back from Great Divide Challenge II with Adam and the trip was great. The Cooper Zeon LTZ's are fantastic. You can check them out at America's Tire on the web.

Those of you with new style Rovers should connect with Adam for his trips. You will learn how incredible our vehicles are....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo