Newb questions about LR3 reliability & stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boon4376

Reaction score
As a previous owner of a 1998 Discovery, and a current saab 9000 / 9-3 owner...

What am i to expect with the LR3?

IS the adjustable suspension going to be as bad as say, the 2nd gen Range Rover or audi allroad? OR have they finally achieved a long lasting design?

Peoples thoughts? My 9000 requires about $2000 / year to maintain on-road drivability. How much would you guys say you average on the LR3 per year?

Keep in mind i will probably not be able to afford one that is still under warranty.
Are these easy to work on by yourself? Are the mechanic guys in the LR3 forums as good as the Mech guys over in the Disco forums on Land Rovers Only?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a previous owner of a 1998 Discovery, and a current saab 9000 / 9-3 owner...

What am i to expect with the LR3?

You are going to love the LR3 so much more than the Disco 1 that there is no comparison other than the green oval. They are massively different, with the underpinnings for the Disco 1 originating in the late '70's, and the LR3 being thoroughly modern in every respect.

IS the adjustable suspension going to be as bad as say, the 2nd gen Range Rover or audi allroad? OR have they finally achieved a long lasting design?
The 2005/2006 years had some issues with software that caused compressor faults, and there was a hardware issue with the compressor also. All fixed under warranty via Technical Service Bulletin campaigns (TSB's). The suspension is remarkable stout.

Peoples thoughts? My 9000 requires about $2000 / year to maintain on-road drivability. How much would you guys say you average on the LR3 per year?[ Keep in mind i will probably not be able to afford one that is still under warranty./quote] My LR3 has only been off warranty for a little while, so I have no real opinion here. A lot depends on how you use it I should think.

Are these easy to work on by yourself?

Mechanically yes, however, most everything is integrated into the ECU via proprietary and hideously expensive (over $10,000) software, so you may be able to replace and repair most anything conventionally, but to clear a fault or "enable" your upfit, you are likely to need to take it to a dealership or indy repair shop with the Testbook computer and plug it in. For example, the brakes and oils are very easy to do yourself, but if you get a sensor fault, you can't hook up a cheap OBD2 reader to clear it.

Modifications of the vehicle are extraordinarly complex and difficult to accomplish because of the high degree of electronic integration. pulling the stereo out throws a fault, replacing the radiator will **** the engine, you can't upgrade the suspenion or fit an aftermarket locker (because there aren't any aftermarket options). You can do a simple lift by modifying the ride height sensors though.

Are the mechanic guys in the LR3 forums as good as the Mech guys over in the Disco forums on Land Rovers Only?

No, the vehicles are still pretty new and only recently off warranty for most of them. However, LRRForums.com is a good place to start. Another excellent (almost overwhelming) forum for LR3 is www.disco3.co.uk

For general tips, mods, info and so forth, mostly about off roading in your LR3, you might enjoy my website: www.nextstepdesigns.com

Regards,

NW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM