Newbie Saying Hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChicagoSammo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking on this forum since my wife and I decided a few weeks ago that we'd get a new LR4 early next year (to coincide with work bonus time).
I'm an expat Brit who sold his Disco II when I came over to Chicago a couple of years ago and i'm thrilled to be in a position to buy a '12 LR4 HSE Lux although the wait will **** me.
I read with interest the discussion over HSE v HSE Lux and all of your comments are valid.
Neither is a bargain basement truck, do I value the 825w audio, the small cooler box, ugraded interior lighting, premium leather & memory seats enough for the extra cash - personally yes but now that the HSE also has the passive keyless entry it was an incredibly close run thing and we wouldn't have been disappointed with either model.
The only negative was that we couldn't order Buckingham Blue due to the continued production problems at the paint plant in Japan so we whittled our other favourites down to Ipanema Sand (Almond/Nutmeg), Nara Bronze (Almond/Arabica) or Bourneville (Almond/Arabica).
And the winner is . . . Bourneville.
I can hear a hushed silence descend on the thread . . . tumbleweeds rolling across a Midwest ghost town . . . Meh, no matter, it is all subjective and as far as we are concerned it is a badass colour with a little more warmth and depth than black.
Best of all is my local dealer is 5 mins drive away (or 30 mins push!).
I'll probably go back to lurking away for 6 months until the delivery day but thought that i'd say hi anyway.

ChicagoSammo

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello and welcome,
Bourneville is a fabulous color. I did not know that 2012 HSE has passive keyless entry standard. I did have a 2010 HSE but had to trade it for a 2011 Lux bc my wife complained of the lack of a rear view camera. But now, rear view cameras are standard on all LR4s. Either way, HSE or Lux, you will be extremely happy with your decision. I know I am!!!!!
George

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Bournville is a great choice! Good luck

wolf-otm

Reaction score
Great Colour choice! I'm also in Chicago and just picked up my LR4 2 weeks ago. I wanted the Bournville but could not find a 2011 with the options I wanted. However, I'm thrilled with my 2nd choice of Siberian Silver. I also recently sold a Discovery II.

Any thoughts of off-roading? I was formerly a member of the Chicago Land Rover Club which coordinated a few off-road trips a year. Most trips are within a couple of hours of the City in Wisconsin or Indiana. I'm thinking of getting involved again so I can see how the LR4 does off-road.

Not sure if you have a salesman that you are working with already but after 5 Land Rovers and referring 5 or 6 others I have definitely found the best Land Rover salesman in all of Chicagoland. Send me a private message if you want his info. I'm not sure of the forum rules on this so I didn't post on here.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I just picked up my '12 HSE Lux on Saturday. It was an unfortunate day in the Northeast to pick up a brand new car that just came out of the detail shop, but you can't always have your cake and... Anyways, I too have been mostly stalking the forum for the past 6 months taking in everyone's thoughts and wanted to say, for the most part, thank you for the various helpful discussions. I look forward to being able to contribute a little more now that I am actually an owner. I posted a few pics, but I appologize for the quality since they were taken with my camera phone. I tried to capture the size of the new key Fob for those of you who have talked about its size. I still view the things as pretty chuncky but I hear its a big improvement. My last comment for now is that if anyone is debating between a '12 HSE and HSE Lux, don't undervalue the upgraded sound system. The thing kicks pretty hard. Although a normal me would've been downright embarassed when Ke$ha came on the radio and my windows were down with the radio pretty loud, I didn't seem to care. Hopefully for my sake that will wear off in a few days.

Attachments

• LR4 1.jpg
    LR4 1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 162
  • LR4 2.jpg
    LR4 2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 165
  • LR4 3.jpg
    LR4 3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 159
  • LR4 4.jpg
    LR4 4.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 154
  • LR4 5.jpg
    LR4 5.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 165

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last 2 pics...

Attachments

• LR4 6.jpg
    LR4 6.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 163
  • LR4 7.jpg
    LR4 7.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 160

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoyas,

Thanks for the photos - AWESOME looking LR4! Do you have the black molding instead of the wood? It was cool to see the inside of the 2012 - they did not change that much at all, but I do like the new Navigation format. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to chatting with you on the forum!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking on this forum since my wife and I decided a few weeks ago that we'd get a new LR4 early next year (to coincide with work bonus time).
I'm an expat Brit who sold his Disco II when I came over to Chicago a couple of years ago and i'm thrilled to be in a position to buy a '12 LR4 HSE Lux although the wait will **** me.
I read with interest the discussion over HSE v HSE Lux and all of your comments are valid.
Neither is a bargain basement truck, do I value the 825w audio, the small cooler box, ugraded interior lighting, premium leather & memory seats enough for the extra cash - personally yes but now that the HSE also has the passive keyless entry it was an incredibly close run thing and we wouldn't have been disappointed with either model.
The only negative was that we couldn't order Buckingham Blue due to the continued production problems at the paint plant in Japan so we whittled our other favourites down to Ipanema Sand (Almond/Nutmeg), Nara Bronze (Almond/Arabica) or Bourneville (Almond/Arabica).
And the winner is . . . Bourneville.
I can hear a hushed silence descend on the thread . . . tumbleweeds rolling across a Midwest ghost town . . . Meh, no matter, it is all subjective and as far as we are concerned it is a badass colour with a little more warmth and depth than black.
Best of all is my local dealer is 5 mins drive away (or 30 mins push!).
I'll probably go back to lurking away for 6 months until the delivery day but thought that i'd say hi anyway.

ChicagoSammo
Hey ChicagoSammo,

Welcome to the forum. I LOVE Bourneville - seriously, it's an awesome color. I can't wait to see pictures!

-David

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finlay, you are correct, not many changes on the interior. I do have the black lacquer wood, which is no longer a $350 upgrade option.

The say what you see feature works pretty well, although my use has been limited to date. The connectivity between my iPad with iOS5 was pretty easy and the bluetooth streaming of music works very well. The navigation system is easy to use and I haven't noticed much of a lag between pressing the buttons and the system doing what it should. I know people have commented on that before, but I am coming from and '05 Grand Cherokee that had a system that was a pain in the a** to use.

As for color, I saw my Sumatra Black next to an '11 Santorini Black and it was surprising how different the two actually are. I prefer the Sumatra, but I am now biased. It has a lot of metallic flakes that dramatically alter the color perception in various light. I think in general LR does a great job on making their color choices stand out vs competitors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4