Newbie Saying Hi...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MrDoug

Hey gang. Thought I'd introduce myself.

I know Saabs, Porsches, and Vespas pretty well. I've recently decided I want to start looking for a Disco as a winter car. I always loved my mother-in-law's and kick myself for not buying it when she traded it in. My current Saab lease is up in 6mos, so I'm going to start looking for a Disco now, so I know what to expect. ;)

Anywho... I'll be lurking for a while...don't mind me. I've got a lot of 'researching' to do while I figure out what to buy, and what to avoid.

-Doug

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Doug...happy hunting! Not sure what year/version of Discovery you're looking for, but feel free to ask questions!

M

MrDoug

I'm looking for a driver. Something I can feel comfortable driving clients around in...going to and from the office. Not really a 'lets go yank that stump out' truck.

I'm leaning towards a 98'-99' right now. I think that's a good mix of options/comfort/price. I'd like to stay under 10K if I can. I'm sick of leasing, and I'd rather just pay cash and get it over with. Put 300 a month in the bank, and fix problems on my own if I can, or drop it off at the land-rover dealership 500-yards from my office. (Land Rover - Solon, OH) I've owned nothing but Saabs since I was 16. I think #14 is in the driveway right now. I've got a 73 Porsche 914 that I spent all last winter restoring for my 'summer car' and just really want something different.

(Wow...so far this post sounds like i'm a lot more 'stuck-up' than I really am.)

Anywho. Suggestions? Should I stay away from eBay? Or is that the place to get a 'deal' and then come here for advice for how to fix the thing. ;)

I've noticed in the last week or so, that not a lot of Discos actually HIT their reserve. Is there a reason for that?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought my '97 off of ebay 3 years ago for $9200 and it was in Ohio... Just makes sure you get plent of pictures, you call and talk to the owner or dealer, know what you are looking at when you get there and make sure you check to make sure everything works that should work.

M

MrDoug

I'm also considering a Range Rover in the same year range. Any opinions as to which is a better vehicle? I know the can of worms I'm opening with that question...and I'm sure it comes down to personal taste. I'm asking more from the perspective of reliability and service. Or am I 6/half-dozen? It's funny that the price difference at the time they were new was $10,000 - $20,000...and now they are about the same. (00' Disco vs. 00' RR)

I DO like that the RR has glass that flips up. Hauling lumber with the back door hanging open seems like it'd be a PITA.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of people who absolutely HATE the P38A RRs (96-03?), and I'm not a big fan of the styling, but they are nice trucks. Those have problems with the air suspension, and various electrical problems (like all Rovers, I'm afraid).

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a Range Rover Classic (roughly a 92-94) or stayed with the Disco I bought (96). 98 or 99 seem to be the most reliable of the D1s, because BMW quality control had taken hold by then.

Disco is taller, and more utilitarian. Also has the side-opening rear door. Center diff lock too.

Rangie is lower, and more luxury-based. Drives more like a car. Viscous coupling is nice.

All that said, clients will think you're a snob if you have a Disco, and they'll think you're a rich snob if you get the Rangie :biggrin: It all comes down to what you want.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS There is a 99 RR in the classifieds.

C

capthook

I like the Disco II over the Range Rover 4.0 SE, but if I were buying one for a highway / comfort ride, I'd get the Range. It's super nice, the Disco's interior doesn't match the Range's, but other than that they are the same darn truck mechanically (more or less). I'm shopping for a RR Classic now. Better 4x4 ability, lots of custom goodies & little cheaper to fix , no air sus, and cheap in California with low miles (yuppie owned, got to love it!!)

Make sure they have not popped out the lights for the ABS / TC / HDC. I've seen a few shady dealers do this when I was shopping for my LR. They should all flash when you turn the key the 1st time, then go away.

Capt

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MrDoug

Great advice....thanks a ton. I have a fondness for the RR Classic too. I remember that being the first RR that I thought was cool. I guess I'm going to have to drive a few to get a feel for what it is that I really want. I can only learn so much from reading.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
along the lines of the ABS light : you should know that it is SUPPOSED to stay on until you drive forward at at least mph, so it can have a little self test. When we were buying ours I thought for sure there was a problem, but it is indeed by design.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer