Nitto Terra Grappler 255/60/18

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of concerns based on the reviews I've been able to find:

1. Not lasting long on heavy vehicles (e.g., LR3).

2. Not performing well in slush/snow

The second one is tough, because the reviews I've read are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Some say the tires are fantastic in the snow, and others say claim they are certain death.

AdvRide

Reaction score
While I run the Terra Grappler in the 285/60R 18 size my first outing I had the 120S load rated model on my 05' LR3 and got about 49k miles out of them. I then had the the same size put on but this time the 123S load rating. One thing to note is the tread depth gets deeper as the load rating goes up.

The 255/60R both load ratings have pretty shallow tread depth compared to the 285/60R 18 123S series I am running so I could see fast wear issues with the shallow tread and lower load rating of that size.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking to stay around the OE size, but want a civilized HR rated AT tire, I would look at the Pirelli ATR or Yokohama A\T-S. The Yoko is the best onroad performing AT tire I have ever experienced, as well as performing very well off-road. It performs better in every way than the OE GY's and my wife's Michelin Lattitudes on her FFRR. They are not quiet as good in the snow as the Pirelli's, but are better on/off road. The Pirelli's seem to have better treadlife too. Alignment has to be spot-on and the on-road pressures around 40psi f/r for even wear.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran Nitto Terra Grapplers on my '05 LR3 and they still had plenty of tread at 35k when I traded it. My '08 has the Toyo equivalent (I can't tell any difference and the blogs say that the two tires are made in the same facility with the same blanks). The tread wear looks great at 32k and the tires go where I point the car. High passes in Colorado. DEEP mud in New Mexico, Interstate to Disneyland, and every surface in between. My guess is that people who think that they "don't perform in slush and snow" are people who "don't perform in slush and snow". With any familiarity with the LR3 and any experience in substandard road surfaces, the Nitto Terra Grappler is a GREAT tire.

I screwed up last month and drove on to a 10 ft snow drift, uphill, with all special programs off. All four tires spun. I put the LR3 in "Snow" mode and drove out like I was on a highway. I had a car full of Australians and they were seriously impressed. The tires are great. The truck is amazing.

David

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I screwed up last month and drove on to a 10 ft snow drift, uphill, with all special programs off. All four tires spun. I put the LR3 in "Snow" mode and drove out like I was on a highway. I had a car full of Australians and they were seriously impressed. The tires are great. The truck is amazing.

David

Great story! I will agree the nitto's are a great tire!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99