Nokian Hakka

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preetsarai

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Lucky8 setup (18” rims with spacers)? What’s the max tire size one can fit without a lift kit?

https://lucky8llc.com/products/lr4-18x8-steel-wheel-set-of-4

actually on second thought, the Tuffant steel rims maybe cheaper and better option (no spacer required) but they are generally backordered.

Thinking of getting an extra set for the winter tires and keeping the 19” OE for the summer. Thoughts / Suggestions?

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying 18" wheels and using them for winter? Those steel wheels are heavy and will rust in the east coast salt baths. I would use the 19" wheels for winter (or find some other wheels) and if you go off road then look for some 18" wheels for summer. Sell the OEM tires on the classifieds. How much money do you want to burn?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Has anyone tried the WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL (SIZE: 255/55R19) tires in snow & ice? They come with severe snow service certification and three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol and are XL load rated. Wondering if these would be a good 'all-year round' compromise compared to having dedicated winter tires.

the verbage of "sever snow service certified" is misleading. while they are snow rated, they are not as good in the snow as a dedicated winter tire.

calling them SEVER snow rated almost makes it sound as if its meant to take on the Arctic...but that's not the case.

I purchased the Wildpeak A/T trails for my LR4 a week ago. living in the NY tri-state area, they will compliment the LR4's already good snow weather ability, and they suit the amount of snow we get.
In VT, you may want a full winter tire, since as good as the LR4 4x4 system is, it cant make up for extreme snow.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In VT, you may want a full winter tire, since as good as the LR4 4x4 system is, it cant make up for extreme snow.

Or slush. MLK weekend last January, the Stowe access road was clogged with big 4WD SUVs spinning all 4 of their near-bald all season tires on really slippery slush. Sliding sideways and going nowhere on the inclines. (Including my neighbor in his QX80 with 22" worn tires)
Caused about a 2 hour delay in getting to the mountain.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Wildpeak AT3W on my LR3 and they are also branded with the snowflake symbol, but honestly, they are not that great in the snow. In fact my wife will not drive my LR3 in the snow because of them. I have found the tires to be excellent in dry and wet conditions, but average in snow. They are not dangerous or anything, just not better than your average all-season in the snow. I recon the A/T trail will be similar.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Wildpeak AT3W on my LR3 and they are also branded with the snowflake symbol, but honestly, they are not that great in the snow. In fact my wife will not drive my LR3 in the snow because of them. I have found the tires to be excellent in dry and wet conditions, but average in snow. They are not dangerous or anything, just not better than your average all-season in the snow. I recon the A/T trail will be similar.

ive been reading up on the wildpeak A/T trail tires, and almost all reviews said they were great in the snow.

id of imagined the AT3W to be a little better, and youre review is one of the first bad ones im reading... sad to hear this.

maybe most reviewers haven't used real snow tires and dont have that as a benchmark? oh well.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modern winter tires rely on soft compounds for traction on icy surfaces. It is very hard to have a nice soft compound (in cold) that holds up to the abuse that an AT tire would be expected to handle.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AT Trail will be better in winter than the AT3. Tires with bigger lugs like the AT3 tend to clog with snow. And the AT Trail has far more sipes than the AT3 for better traction & braking on ice.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there are more sipes, but there is definately less room for snow to pack in between the lugs, and a lot of what we get here is heavy/wet slushy snow, which packs hard. They may perform better in dry fluffy/granular snow. I am about due for tires myself, so I am on the fence between another set of AT3W, the AT Trails, or something different. I have never had the same set of tires twice on the same car, I just can't seem to help myself from thinking there is always something better to try!

AT Trail on left, AT3W on right:

457x673_WPTrail__Tread.png
457x673_AT3W_Tread.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just ordered DM V2's for my LR5, but last year I put a set of the studded Hakka 9's on a Q5. My son was on the Squaw ski team and we spent a lot of time in Mammoth... Folks this dude is talking tons of snow, like 6' at a time. I liked the Hakka's here in CO, because it's like a skating rink most of the time and the snow piles up, but in inches at a time... they were loud, but absolutely NO slip in ice.... I tried! :) I have Ko2's on for summer, and they're great tires, but while they worked in Tahoe with lots of deep snow, they not so bueno on ice. the Blizzak's just seem to do the job really well on ice and snow, so I use them on my Pick up and Disco.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi