Nokian Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes...you've certainly added some weight with your two bumpers and the 280 pound sliders! Aluminum would probably be a better material anyway for its corrosion resistance.

7140 though....wow!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my last actual trip, I was curious so a truck weigh station allowed me to weigh in......8000 lbs and I was alone. Had the roof tent, Pelican with side walls for both awnings and tent annex, x-jack, 2 jerry cans (only 1 full), 2 bikes on the tire carrier arm (bikes and rack ~ 75lb or less), snow chains, full 40L fridge, "kitchen" bin probably 40 lbs with the couple pots and stove and misc, 1/2 tank of fuel as I was going through Oregon and don't like to stop ;) Photo case, large tripod, computer crap and some books....

It really ads up. I know another guy with similar bolt ons that figured about the same weight. I suppose it's part of why it drives so well on the highway :/

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are you guys getting out of your Nokian and are Pirelli ATR's? I need to get new tires this week and I have narrowed down to these two, unless I find something I have not come across.

J.D.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 16k on the pirellis and can't tell there has been any wear at all...should get 40k

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20.000 miles on my Nokian WR G2s and they barely wearing...Great on snow ,rain and slush, they were actually designed for slush, believe or or not..Had some hot summer this year in NJ and Nokians performed beautifully,little on the sift side , but I just keep them at 44-rear and 35 front.One thing though, about off road driving , that you want to do with them...I did many trips on steep hills and winding gravel roads and they pack with little pebbles like CRAZY, almost every single sipping was filed with stones on every adventure,and simple driving on deep mud ruts might end up with winching yourself out of being stuck simply coused by completely caked up tires with mud.They might perform well on rocks, but I have no experience on that surface.Wr G2 are excellent tires for winter and all weather driving,but off road tires they are not..

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, the BFG AT KO is probably the very best all around tire there is on the planet.

Get them cross siped and they work even better in snow. If you only have one tire for mega miles but also off road and harsh terrain, it's simply the best one.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest, you're probably right. It probably is the best all-around tire.

...but it doesn't come in the stock HSE size.

samterri

Reaction score
Yeah, Jwest got me all pumped up to get the BFG's for my 06'.;) I have them on my 1991 Range Rover and they've been great, but when I looked for the stock size BFG, no dice.

Jwest, what's the size you're running in that tire for the LR3? Thanks!

Sam

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest, you're probably right. It probably is the best all-around tire.

...but it doesn't come in the stock HSE size.

Agreed as well. But this reason is part of the downfall of this tire, for me. Me, I want something different than everyone else. I was looking for tires for my tow-rig. I could have very easily gone with the BFG AT's, but it seems that most of the tow rigs out there are running them, so I'd blend in.

On the flip side, I have not seen many LR3's with these tires, so if they came in a 19, I might consider them.

However, so far I love my new Toyo Open County H/T's. Very quite, even for my wife's standards, and the price point can't be beat.

J.D.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why the hell do you guys care if the stock size, 18 or 19, isn't available? There is virtually zero benefit to using the stock size even if the tire did come in that size.

A. the load rating is generally higher when the tire volume increases
B. it never hurts to have more sidewall keeping your rim edges further from rocks or curbs depending on your environment
C. the size available will still stuff into the oem spare location if you remove the fiber barrier piece between it and the differential. (but it's almost the worst place for a spare considering the difficulty of retrieval if your cargo area is full or you are in deep mud)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM