Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugmw177

Reaction score
Ok, so I had Michelin LTX premier tires 255-55-19 on our '11 LR4HSE Lux. These tires ride great, handle well wet and dry but they are nearly completely worn out after 18,000 miles. tread left is less that 4/32". Anyhow, tire dealer offers some credit prorated dfor the 60k mile stated by michelin. This tire has been discontinued and accoriding to dealer it is not uncommmon to be worn out at 1/3 of the estimated life. Anyhow, contacted Michelin and they offered "goodwill" gesture of 70% on the original tire purchase price. Unfortunately, the inflationary increases in tires in the past two years eats up most of that credit and I am now having to add another $700 for a set of new tires after the discount. The tires they recommended are cross climate 2. Anyone have any experience with the Michelin Cross Climate 2 on their LR4?

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's another thread on this forum about the cross climate 2, you might want to try searching...

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah premiers are great (perhaps best for onroad) but wear like a sponge. Not sure if Defender LTX M/S is available in your size. If so these have 90% of the ride of the Premiers and 3 times+ the wear.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They just do. The ride while they last is sublime. I got about 45k kms (30kish miles) to bald.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have crossclimates on a cx5 and jeep grand cherokee. they have been great so far but havent had snow here in the northeast. on the LR4 i have used nokian wr4g for years and those are great in the snow. currently running contis that have been very comfortable. have defender LTX on an escalade. hard to differentiate around suburban nyc climate.

ugmw177

Reaction score
not underinflated nor overinflated on the premiers. having the cross climates installed today so will see how they are, i guess.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 on the LTX. We bought them because we thought the siping might lessen the blinding flood of water from our flooded streets. They are almost done now. Would the Defender or the CrossClimate be better at handling the splash?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a treadwear of 620 only getting 18k miles is daylight robbery. I would expect at least 40k mi from them. The Pilot Sport models are good tires, but the life of those would be about 20k miles.

Michelln is up to dirty tricks sometimes. I had a Z06 Corvette that came with Z rated Michelins. It would spin tires in 3rd gear and there was PLENTY of tread left. I was confused on why the tires would slip when it didn't do that before. It turned out they used two compounds when creating the tire, an outer compound that was grippy but once that wore off another compound was exposed that was slippery (and cheaper).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72