Noobie = P

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Matt, I'm a 17 year old student in Manhattan who just happen to have a 1995 Land Rover Discovery SE. Its a great car for the most part, with the exception of 6k in repairs. But besides that, I just want to find out more about my car, add my own experiances, and learn from others..

And to start off.. my Rover has a new problem now..

When ever I press the brake, or go over bumps the speakers freak out and begin to crackle, I took apart the subwoofer and shook the back door to see weather its the woofer causing the crackle. It isnt. I want to take out the radio in the front but I have no clue on how to do this, I heard that it could be a problem with the wiring behind the radio. Any ideas on what else it might be and how do I unscrew stuff to get to it?

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Dirty Engine....

I like this car a lot, just want to take care of it so can you guys help on teh speaker issue?

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Matt! I just got here too! Believe it or not, my truck came from the Manhattan area as well, hence the rusted stuck CDL. What exactly did you have to spend 6k to fix? For that price, your engine compartment should be clean enough to eat off of. :wink:

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radiator, Fuel pump, 1 broken window in the back, see that red component? thats a exaust manifold, it was cracked make the car tick, blue part was replaced two times, wiring for fuses twice, Pump for radiator, some tubing for radiator was replaced too. Some seals were replaced on steering system (no clue what exactly that was) whole exaust system replaced twice. Oh and the alternator died so thats new too.. 4 new wheels, front brake pads replaced twice.. And thats about it, guess we bought a bad car, but now it should run for the next 20 years.. with proper maintenance..

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the factory stereo in, or did you put a new deck in? Who did the install if that is the case?

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a standard land rover Am/Fm Radio with a cassete player. Didnt touch it at all, this problem just started happening all a sudden, the only thing i did replace is the antenna ( Car wash broke original ) and i double checked that, and it is not it aswell... How would i unscrew everything to get the radio out, i have no clue on how to do this.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy good aftermarket (hint hint - Alpine ..) stereo with CD &etc. It will cost you about 80 bucks to install, and whatever you feel like to spend for stereo. Will get better sound and they will sort out that cracking thing.

I swapped mine recently and wont go back (well i also hooked up 10 CD changer with modulator and MP3 playback :)). Sound is very good, and i have now like 60-odd hours of music that i like, and dont have to drag cassetes around anymore.

D

discomike

Matt,
Welcome to the club, nice looking truck, you will get many years of fun out of it, especially now that you have past that $6K mark.
On your radio removal, I think you have 2 slots, one on either side of the radio. You will need the flat key that the dealers and radio shops have to unlock and remove the radio. Does the radio crackel when playing a CD? I am thinking bad ground or short in the antenna.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sergei, good call on the alpine deck! I run all alpine and JL. Got two amps and a sub. It is REAL loud.

The crackle could either be from a short or a blown speaker (doubt it). Check the connections behind the deck and the speaker that is crackling. Are all the speakers crackling? or just one? If all are crackling, get a new deck, and get alpine!!!

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the speakers crack, sometimes its the woofer, sometimes its one of the back speakers, or sometimes its one of the front speakers, I checked weather this only happens on radio, turns out it also happens when playing tapes, what kind of screw drivers do i need to take out the radio, I see two little holes but none of the screw drivers i have will open it. Anyone have a manual or a diagram for this, better yet a detailed explanation = )

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Mike said, there is a flat key that "unlocks" the head unit. No screwdriver that I know of will unlock the radio. Any radio/tape deck installation company will have this tool, as well as the dealer. I have never seen where you can buy one, but I am sure there are places to buy this key/tool.

Maybe, if you call around, a shop that sales custom audio systems will help you out for a nominal fee. I will bet if you explain the dilemma, they may even help you troubleshoot it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM