Now I know where the Land Rover / Range Rover confusion comes from

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hanging out in the wrong circles.

IMO it's fun to entertain questions from people who see a Land Rover as a novelty. I was in the middle of nowhere during one solo road trip; maybe a Waffle House in some backwater town. When I came back out to the LR4 a couple of locals asked "What kinda truck is that?" I stopped to chat and told them it was a Land Rover. They nodded in a self-congratulatory way and said "Yep, we figgered it was English."

Contrast that with the area where I live. LRs of all vintages triple-parked in front of the Starbucks. No one appreciates them. No one waves to other LR drivers on the road. No respect.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrast that with the area where I live. LRs of all vintages triple-parked in front of the Starbucks. No one appreciates them. No one waves to other LR drivers on the road. No respect.

Same here...I live in a town with a drive-on beach. According to the local dealer there are over 120 Land Rover owners in our town. At least I have the only Causeway Gray LR4 and there are just 2 Firenze Red ones.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul, where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, apparently some of you are too new to rovers to remember when the "discovery" was a new thing and back then, there was just a land rover range rover, that was it aside from the defender.

So you had lwb and swb range rovers and actually several defender layouts 130 110 90 pick-ups, etc. You chose either for true utility or for a posh estate vehicle. Then the Discovery was introduced as the budget entry.

I think there was such a long period of the incredible Range Rover marketing in North America that it became iconic like saying "Kleenex" instead of tissue.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
… at the auto parts store... "I have a Land Rover LR3". Who makes that, Toyota?

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA