o2 sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clydon

Reaction score
my car failed inspection months ago because of o2 sensor codes and i have been putting off bringing it in to get fixed. finally the time has come i need to fix up the disco or get rid of her. anyone know ballpark what replacing the o2 sensors runs? ive heard from a thousand to two thousand...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Go here and order then.. and do it yourself.. If you buy all 4 your will still be under $1000, but I doubt you need more than just the front 2.

www.discountbritishparts.com and let Nathan know what you need.

clydon

Reaction score
i know that all four need to be replaced... how tough of an install is it?

clydon

Reaction score
any photos of where the four sensors are located?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
On a scale of one to ten I would put the rear two as a 1, the front two as a 3-4, just because of how you have to put your hand behind the engine to make the connection.

You can't miss them really, you have one on each side behind the cats, and one on each side in front of the cats.

the front plugs are a pain in the neck, since the sit between the firewall and the rear of the engine.

Rears take about 5 minutes each, fronts will take 30 to 45 minutes each.

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 with what Joey said. An O2 sensor socket is a worthwhile investment too. Most auto parts stores have them.

Reaction score
I am new here and am in no way an expert, but I just changed out all 4 of mine. It took me about an hour to do them all. I used a crow's foot to get them off because I didn't even know there was a special socket for O2's (told you I'm no expert!!!).

The hardest part for me was getting the darn electrical connectors loose. I looked at the new parts to figure out how the release buttons work, then it was easy.

My valve cover gaskets leak oil. If you have this problem too I would also suggest a few pairs of latex gloves because it gets messy under there.

Good luck!

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 1997 - you can really speed up replacing the front O2's by first removing your coil-pak assembly at the rear of the engine bay; in turn - this will let you get your mitts down in over the connection area just on top of the tranny - by the firewall. Otherwise - its a major pain!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Wolf, you think that is why I had the major pain issue doing mine :biggrin: one day I will learn how to do it the easy way... but until then I love the cuts and abrasions.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Wolf, you think that is why I had the major pain issue doing mine :biggrin: one day I will learn how to do it the easy way... but until then I love the cuts and abrasions.

Hi Joey;

When I first took a look at the front 02 connections - I thought there must be an access panel coming from the cabin or where can I find a midget to get at those darned things. But, funny enough, one of the tech dudes at Atlantic British told me that it was just a pain no matter what but that I could lessen that pain by removing the coil paks assembly.

Wolf

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99