OBDII Code Reader for Father's Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco4meplz

Reaction score
The first one will tell codes with any parts store should be able to do for free. The second one actually displays readings from various sensors to help troubleshoot a problem.

I would take the second one just because I've had training on how to use such items. If your dad actually does repairs himself the second one would be way better. if he wants to check if he needs to go to the mechanic to get his vehicle fixed the first one should be fine.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, I think giving your Dad a scanner is a grate idea. How mechanical is your Dad, what is your budget? a Good scanner still won't read a few of our Rovers issues, like the 3 Amigos, SRS and SLS.
That being said, go to, http://www.canobd2.com/Products/Tools.aspx and read up on their different scanners, don't faint at the prices cause if you want one of these, you will then go to Amazon.com and buy for lots less. I settled on the 3130 and it is a good scanner for any vehicles, especially our Discos. By the way, I paid $134 for it and have saved a bunch of money since.
Good luck and whatever you get him, I am sure he will love it.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He will have fun trying it on different vehicles and their on-line support is to die for.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are a responsible Rover owner, you don't drive with a bad MAF, not if you don't want all the extra expenses caused by doing that.

Coppage

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a 2000 Discovery II. I week after driving it, I now have a check engine light and the dreaded 3 amigos. The three amigos lit up after I hit the brakes ******* a bump. So I too am looking for a good diagnostic tool and found this old thread. I noticed that the 3130 is still for sell. I also saw newer models. Would the higher series models work as well. There's one that has ABS support. Is that worth getting? I also seen three where folks have bought some plug just or the three amigos issues. With a tool like this would I still need that plug? Or is that plug a thing you just leave connected to block the error code?

Thanks,
Michael

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM