OEM Roof Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the OEM roof bars? If so, I have a quick favor to ask:

I need the front to back measurement of a single bar.

I just picked up a pair of the short roof rails on e-bay and installed them. Now I'm trying to decide between Yakima cross bars or OEM. I'd prefer the OEM ones, but they look pretty "wide" (not sure if that's the most accurate description) to me.

They will be used mainly for a Thule roof box, and I want to be sure that it will fit on the OEM bars before I shell out $300 for a set.

The mounts on the Thule box will fit on a roof bar up to about 3 1/2" wide.

I guess I may as well throw this out there too - Anyone found a cheap source for these? Best I've found so far is e-bay for $269 + $15 shipping.

Thanks in advance.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Get the Thule or Yakima crossbars. I bought OEM crossbars for my Honda Pilot and then discovered that the Thule box I wanted weighed too much for the crossbars. So I wound up getting the Thule crossbars for peace of mind. But I wasted $200+ by buying the Honda crossbards first.

LR crossbars might be a little hardier than the Honda ones, but I wouldn't take a chance. Get the crossbars from the company that specializes in them.

DefenderNYC

Reaction score
Bot the cross bars from eBay and installed them last weekend. You are right bars are definitely wide but they look very solid and light actually.
And also compare to my previous car, LR4 bars are son much quicker ton take on and off.
They come with bag too.
I saw the Yakima and Thule but they look so cheap.
OEM bars have a much sleeker design.
I was in the same dilemma as you are, but now I am very happy to have purchased the OEM ones.
Also think about resale value. You will get better money selling originals then Yakima.
Hope it helps

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the info, but what I really need is that measurement if someone can get it for me.

I'm very familiar with the Yakima & Thule set ups - I have about 20 years' worth of parts from both in my attic, and have a Yakima set up for my Acura.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bumping this up again to see if anyone can take this measurement for me.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Just bumping this up again to see if anyone can take this measurement for me.

Why not call the parts department at your local LR dealer instead of trying to get someone on the board to do your bidding for you?

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not call the parts department at your local LR dealer instead of trying to get someone on the board to do your bidding for you?

"Bidding?" :confused:

Sorry, I didn't figure it would be a big deal for someone who has the factory bars to take 2 minutes and grab a simple measurement.

As for my "local" dealer...they are an hour each way from me, otherwise I would have just stopped in myself. And I did call the parts department, who had neither the measurement, nor the bars in stock.

I also e-mailed the dealer selling the bars on e-bay with no response.

I also called several different online Land Rover parts vendors - no luck there either.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like you've run out of options. So order the OEM bars and if they don't fit, return them. An hour each way is not that big a deal. Seriously, it's not.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've run out of options. So order the OEM bars and if they don't fit, return them. An hour each way is not that big a deal. Seriously, it's not.

Are you this much of a ****** in real life too, or is it just online?

Clearly, a two minute favor is far beyond your capabilty. The funny thing is, you don't even own the factory bars - so I'm not sure why you continue to comment.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you this much of a ****** in real life too, or is it just online?

Clearly, a two minute favor is far beyond your capabilty. The funny thing is, you don't even own the factory bars - so I'm not sure why you continue to comment.

Hi Rainm...

Ignore him. We all try to anyway. He is either true ****** bag, judging by the rude remarks he makes on here, or he is just a fake who really drives a smart car. Either way, I have learned it does nothing but waste your time to even reply to him.

If I had those bars, I would get that measurement for you yesterday. Someone should help you out here. Besides a small few, most on here are kind and very helpful. Like you said, it takes only a second to run out and get a measurement. I've seen people on here actually run out to their car at work and pull out the LR4 manual to find a helpful answer for a poster. C'mon forum...help the poor guy out.

Good luck to you and ignore ol DB :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635