Off Road Tire/wheel recommendation....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

tzucc

that does not exist from all my research, which has been lengthy. Your best option on the 18" is probably the Syncrhone... certainly it seems to be a major improvement to the HP for snow perfornance.

A

AussieLR3

The LR3 does have a 17*7" rim on the base model "S". The tyre fitted to this wheel size is a 235/70/17. This may not be available in all markets but for Australia it is. There should be no reason why this wheel would not fit - I can't imagine the brake calipers on an "S" are different to the SE or HSE.

Cooper Tires has just launched the STT which is a tyre quoted to be 80% dirt/mud and 20% road/sand:

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTruck&id=271&title=Light+Truck+Tires

This Cooper STT comes in a 245/70/17 and this tyre is 30.7" in diameter compared to the 30" diameter for standard LR3 tyre being either 255/60/18 or 255/55/19. This has got to be the best option to buying MTR's which seem pretty expensive. Also having a 70 % aspect ratio it will be better off-road than the 19" MTR which has a 55 % aspect ratio.

Chris

S

Slimer

In the UK the V8 has bigger brake discs than the TDV6. The smallest wheel available on the V8 is 18", whilst the base diesel comes with a 17", so the 17" may not fit the V8 with it's larger discs. I'm don't knowif this applies outside of the UK

This is a quote from the Discovery 3 Product Directory:
'The wheels have been specified to accommodate the generously-sized brake discs. The entry-level wheel is 17 inches in diameter and seven inches wide while the standard wheel is 18 inches in diameter and eight inches wide to accomodate larger brakes. A premium wheel is available on certain models and is of 19 inch diameter and eight inches width'

Disc sizes are quoted as:
TDV6 and V6 petrol - Front 317x30mm, Rear 325x20mm
V8 petrol - Front 337x30mm, Rear 350x20mm

T

tzucc

Good info Chris and Slimer. I am glad I didn't buy those 17" rims from eBay then.
I agree that 70 profile would be far preferable to 55 profile, but it appears that the 17" rim either doesn't fit, or if it does, it leaves you with tire choices that are not at the 30" stock diameter. I just don't want to mess up the speedo, tripmeter, etc... and lose a bit of torque as well.
The MTR's will be indeed more expensive, perhaps outrageously so. I wish there was an alternative, but I really don't see one at 18 or 19", except, again, the Synchrone. And that is not enough of an All Terrain paw print for me.

A

AussieLR3

Thanks Slimer for clarifying the V8 disc size. I forgot to check that in the specs.

The 17" should then be okay for the TDV6 and V6 options (I think). This probably won't help in the US who don't get the TDV6 or V6.

Chris

T

tzucc

so I am indeed moving ahead with the Goodyear MTR 255/55/19's. When I do get them installed, in a couple of weeks since they are coming from UK, I'll post some pics.

speedmancool

Reaction score
tmiller1. There is a Goodyear Wrangler MT/R for 18" wheel. Its the 275/65R18. It is 32.1 in Diameter, so I dont know if it would fit the LR3. Hope it helps

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TZUCC
you can get the mtr from discount tire you do not need to order them from the uk

Kenjengrif

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of the MTRs (19s) from tire rack. Much better price than the local Goodyear dealer and they make a HUGE difference offroad. Not sure if I would want to run them all the time, there is a bit more noise, but it was worth it for me to have a second set.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak