Off Road Tire/wheel recommendation....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am thinking about getting a set of wheels/tires for offroad use.

What size should I pick? Do I want to stick with 255, or go narrower/wider?

How about 255/85-16?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there will be a 16 inch wheel that will fit over stock brake calipers. I bet many 17s won't even fit.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Acually for the LR3, you can get 17's for it, but you have to buy them from Europe. They are not imported into the states.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
joey said:
Acually for the LR3, you can get 17's for it, but you have to buy them from Europe. They are not imported into the states.

Like I said...MANY 17s won't fit. You'll need the right combination of spoke design and wheel offset to slide over those big front calipers.

I'd be interested in some 17s if they were made available in the states. Do you have any pics?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't, but I am sure with a little searching you can find the Land Rover factory wheels in Europe and order them.

O

Outrageous

Of course, the next problem would be finding any tires to fit.

F

Freeflytim

That was me who got 'em...18" SE 'take offs' for $930 (including shipping).

When I placed my deposit for my HSE (with 19" wheels), I entertained the idea of having the dealer swap to the 18"s because more selection in tires. I didn't do it.
Less than week after I got my truck I get a set of 'take offs' for less than a grand on Ebay. Yippie!

Outrageous said:
I recently saw four new 18" wheels with tires sell for less than $1000 on eBay.

T

tzucc

so I looked into getting better tires for my LR3 HSE. Turns out that the good offroad tires won't fit either the stock 19" or the 17" rims found on eBay. The only different and decent tire alternative to the Goodyear Wrangler appears to be the Michelin Synchrone 4x4.. .which got pretty good user reviews, esp compared to our Wrangler stock tire.

Anybody got a better rubber option for the 17, 18, or 19" rim than the Michelin???

p.s. after some checking it turns out that the Pirelli Ice/Snow Scorpion is also available in the 255/60/18 tire. That might be better yet than the Syncrhone.

Now I need to find some LR SE owner who will trade his 18" setup for my 19" setup... ! I don't think that should be a problem for the more on-road set of folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis