2010 LR4 Off-road wheel and tire options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
What is LK8 saying? Gotta be a parts defect. Junk metal they are stamped from?
I didn't ask. I'm just going to take it as a loss. I'm pretty sure they won't warranty something that's been off roading, especially when it happened on a (super easy) trail. You can also see that it pulled my axle out of the cv joint and it was hanging below the skid plate. This also immobilized me, I had to remove the wheel pop it back in to move. I ratchet strapped the LCA to keep it in tact to get off the trail. Without the SYA, I'd be 2" lower on actual bump stops with my 31s. I wouldn't be moving if I was on 33s without the SYA kit. GAP wouldn't have helped if a bag was blown, which it was. Well, maybe put it into build mode to jack up 3 out of the 4 corners, but that's all in theory since no one tested that out.

Is it because there's no compliance in the poly bushing, so what would normally be ramps in force turn into impacts/step functions? Are there any stress fractures on the other side? Scary! Another reason to regret installing the poly to add to my list.
I want to say poly bushings are unforgiving and it diverts the force of impacts to weaker areas. It simply doesn't absorb small or hard hits like rubber. I'd rather have the rubber give and clunk like a **** (asshole seems to be acceptable compared to m-o-f-o) to get me out of something, than this happening ever again. I could have saved the polys and sold them, but I chucked it in anger and I didn't have the conscience to do someone else wrong like these did to me.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually pretty common, but I thought I'm special and it wouldn't happen to me.

It broke where the bushing inserts into the front LCA. The bushing was 100% in tact, the LCA bushing hoop broke in half where it meets the the rest of the welded structure.

View attachment 23266
View attachment 23267
My buddy had this exact same thing happen with his lk8 poly lca. I pressed my old ones out and put polys into the OEM LCAs. Been on about 4 weeks of off-road trips since I installed them with no issues yet

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep your **** maintained and carry a GAP tool, maybe even some air line if you really plan on getting out there and don’t worry about failure. It isn’t 2008 anymore, no reason to just always plan for air suspension failure.. it really doesn’t happen.

No one builds a Toyota and runs small tires in case they break a strut or torsion bar.
Well said. Keep it maintained and know how to fix it, pretty simple.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious. What’s your plan if you have a catastrophic air suspension failure while you’re driving off-road?

Also, your bumper looks like a Tactical 4x4 build. Is that what you have there?
I spent a lot of time chalking the tires, dropping it to the bumps, turning the wheel... Then cutting, heat gunning, molding, etc. Then I would test around town, and if I identified a rub point I'd go back, reproduce it then take care of it. Takes time to get it right.
***Full disclosure, I have the SYA kit installed and the HD axles.

Yes, front/back/sides are T44. Had to trim all of them to get the tires to work at all articulation points though

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PXL_20230421_202815021.jpg
PXL_20230421_202832340~2.jpg

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
My buddy had this exact same thing happen with his lk8 poly lca. I pressed my old ones out and put polys into the OEM LCAs. Been on about 4 weeks of off-road trips since I installed them with no issues yet
Looks like I got the polys in around 11/2020, I suppose 2 years was a decent run with mainly off road driving. Hopefully, your polys on oem arms are better than my L8 hd kit.

lobosmd

Reaction score
Not really benefiting the conversation here, just sharing:
My TuffAnt Kimberley rims (smoked grey) should be arriving tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked, although I'm not in a huge hurry to get the stock 19" rims off my 2013 LR4 since there's plenty of tread left on the Falken Wild Peak AT Trail tires that are on there now. I plan on taking my time and picking the right tires for these 18s and will eventually install a swing-out tire carrier, so placing the tire underneath the vehicle won't be a factor in my decision.

Kimberley Specs:
- Weight: 13.7kg
- Load Rating: 1500kg
- Offset: ET29
- Size: 18" x 8"

One of the five rims came in today and I think it looks great. I need to remain patient and use up the tread on those 19's :)

View attachment 22398

Where did you buy these?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA