Off Roading Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the tires aren't obnoxiously big.. in fact I'm pretty sure mbw and Finlay run them without any lift at all. I was thankful for my AT's today as the clay was pretty slick. With slightly more effort, I think a stock LR4 would have done most of the hill climbs just fine. The hill in the 3rd photo was the trickiest today. Like I said, the clay was very slick, and that one is pretty steep to begin with.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, so maybe stock tires would not have made it. They fill up with clay like that very easily and don't self clean well at all, so it would have been a real pain.

Ya, I run 265/65R18 with no lift. I have a set of the rods and they are neat, but didnt end up feeling the need to run them all the time. I think I want to just use it stock most of the time and if I do some big off road event ill put on the rods or maybe use one of the electronic options if I get that in the future.

The lift looks great, but I *think* it is slightly less comfortable ride (I only tested it for a week). It is also less practical because I have a lower garage height, and two small kids that climb in and out, and the sliders are high enough already.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell us more about the wheels...Are you running them with spacers?

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mbw- Yes, you make some good points for sure.

RBA- No spacers needed as they are custom-drilled to fit the LR4. 18x9" blank Fuel Offroad wheels.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DUDE...how come no one is talking about these wheels?!? I just went to Fuel's website...they're inexpensive too...You've been holding out!!! ;)

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DUDE...how come no one is talking about these wheels?!? I just went to Fuel's website...they're inexpensive too...You've been holding out!!! ;)

There are a few older threads about my wheels! Sorry you missed them- haha! As far as I know, AxelR has pursued this option recently. Not with Fuel I don't think, but with blank wheels from other manufacturers such as KMC XD Series, etc... I am thankful to have had my dealership's great customs shop do all the work and coordinating for me, so I don't have all the specifics about installation for you. PM me if you have any more questions though, and I'll do the best I can to help you. Definitely PM Axel as well and see where his search has taken him recently.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome photos, Brandon!!! I always eagerly await previews via text! :)

I love the wheels - so nice. I do love the look of the lift, but I agree with mbw, I tried it for a little while and it made a difference with my LR4 - especially since I have the rack and pelican boxes. I'm still running at standard height, but use off road mode and my IIDTool for off road (which I have yet to do with the new tires - ugh!!!!!!!).

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few older threads about my wheels! Sorry you missed them- haha! As far as I know, AxelR has pursued this option recently. Not with Fuel I don't think, but with blank wheels from other manufacturers such as KMC XD Series, etc... I am thankful to have had my dealership's great customs shop do all the work and coordinating for me, so I don't have all the specifics about installation for you. PM me if you have any more questions though, and I'll do the best I can to help you. Definitely PM Axel as well and see where his search has taken him recently.

Brandon is correct. It seems that there are a few options here in the States as far as 18s for the LR4.

You can check out www.wheelpros.com and you'll see what you can get.

I've been exchanging emails with them for a few weeks now and they just confirmed that when custom drilled there's not going to be any issue (even the hub bore is correct, no need for hub centric rings). Most options are around $200.

Lucky8 LLC offers a steel rim in 18 that should fit. They will do some testing some time soon.

Barry from Compomotive just told me that he would give me a discount on the wheels he has in stock... So I'm back on the fence but I think it'd be nice to have something different than what everybody else has ;)

I should be making up my mind in the next few days.

Axel

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brandon is correct. It seems that there are a few options here in the States as far as 18s for the LR4.

You can check out www.wheelpros.com and you'll see what you can get.

I've been exchanging emails with them for a few weeks now and they just confirmed that when custom drilled there's not going to be any issue (even the hub bore is correct, no need for hub centric rings). Most options are around $200.

Lucky8 LLC offers a steel rim in 18 that should fit. They will do some testing some time soon.

Barry from Compomotive just told me that he would give me a discount on the wheels he has in stock... So I'm back on the fence but I think it'd be nice to have something different than what everybody else has ;)

I should be making up my mind in the next few days.

Axel
Hey Axel - keep us posted! :)

I think all of the options are great, just slightly different looks. I really like the Compomotive, such a classic look. I am pretty old school with looks.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another video, thanks to my friend John and his GoPro Hero 3... he was following me through a pretty technical articulation spot in his 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.. The noise you hear about half-way through is his tires rubbing his fenders. We've been through this spot a million times, but it's pretty neat how the elements change the landscape every time we go. Make sure you watch it in 1080p if you can! The quality on the GoPro is great.

http://youtu.be/G2nw9xm48_I

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635