OK to use synthetic gear oil for limited slip diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up some bottles of Valvoline Synthetic gear oil to use for transfer case and differentials but just realized that these are for limited slip differential type. I know D2 don't have limited slip diffs. Would it be still ok to use these or better off getting the regular oil?

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
75W-90. $8.99 per qt. I bought 5 for now. At Oreilly auto.

I now see that Autozone across the street has Mobil 1 straight synthetic oil for same price. Mobil1 any good? I might just get them instead. I am not comfortable with this "limited slip" thing.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on who makes the land rover locker but I am 110% positive that synthetics destroy lockers. Most major manufactures of lockers will put warnings on their box that say never to use sysnthetics but rather something along the lines of a 75w with a friction additive in it. I have seen so many eaton and aurburns get destroyed this way. Especially chevy and gmc's that have an eaton g80 in it. Diffs were not made to take synthetics like that.

Just my 2 cents

Steve

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized that the title of this thread is confusing.

I mean to ask, is it ok to use the synthetic "gear oil designed for limited slip type" into D2?
"instead of recommended straight syntehtic oil"?
D2s don't have limited slip correct? I thought DiscoMike's recommended 60K miles service calls for synthetic gear oil in differentials and transfer box. Or did I read it incorrectly?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used the castrol synth 75-90 in my DI for over 5yrs. (and my RR)

I think if you read it, it's good for all diffs, including limited slip. Not just for limited slip.

luck,greg

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on who makes the land rover locker but I am 110% positive that synthetics destroy lockers. Most major manufactures of lockers will put warnings on their box that say never to use sysnthetics but rather something along the lines of a 75w with a friction additive in it. I have seen so many eaton and aurburns get destroyed this way. Especially chevy and gmc's that have an eaton g80 in it. Diffs were not made to take synthetics like that.

Just my 2 cents

Steve

First of all, D2's are open diffs with no lockers.

Second, you are 100% wrong regarding using synthetic gear oil with lockers, not sure where you learned that one but it is the better way to go, as well as up-grading to a 75W/140 HD gear oil which is even better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4