Okay, first real problem with our 2010 LR4 Lux....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen! Encountered what I would say is our first real issue with our 5 month old LR4 last night. Drove my wife to a friend house, and while en route, I turned down the volume of the radio (on a local FM station) and after I dropped her off, I went to turn the volume back up. Nothing, absolutely nothing. The screen was still on the radio FM audio screen, but the volume knob did not work. Then when I tried to change the channel to another FM channel, nothing happened. Same goes for trying to change it to the Sat. screen, and or CD input. I tried turning it "on / off" and that did nothing.

I needed gas anyway, so I figured I'd turn the truck off, and then back on to see if it cleared. Unfortunately, when I did this, the entire information screen (even the back up camera) went completely dead. Black screen (as would appear if it were completely turned off). Nothing worked on the screen at all. Would not respond to "on / off" inputs or placing the vehicle into "reverse, forward, back into reverse", or NAV or anything.

Fast forward to this morning, and when I started up the vehicle, everything seems to be working normally. What is also weird is that about a month ago, we got into the vehicle and when we turned the radio on, all the speakers on the "right side" of the vehicle were "off" as if you went to the audio screen and physically turned down all the right side speakers to off. The left side worked fine, including the sub-woofer, but it was as if the speaker wires to the entire right side of the vehicle were cut. After we got to our destination and turned the vehicle off, we restarted the vehicle and all the speakers came back on again. It only did that once, but it seemed to have corrected itself as it's not done that again.

Also, something else that we noticed a few weeks ago, is that the drivers side front window "auto up" feature does not seem to work. It does the "auto down", but not the "auto up". All the rest of the windows work fine, including the drivers controls for all windows and the individual window buttons, but not the drivers window / button. Anyone else seen this? I almost assume it's as if the function has been disabled, but I can't figure out where you'd even do this. I was planning on taking it the dealer at some point and ask as it's not really that big a deal, but now with the "radio wack out problem" I encountered last night, I'm thinking it needs to go in sooner rather then later.

Anyone else see either of these issues? Am I doing something wrong? We have 7500 miles on the beast and have not had any other issues. We love the truck and it's a BEAST in the snow providing you put it into "snow" mode. Also, I can't recommend enough the OEM rubber floor mats. I've never seen a better constructed, better fitting all weather mat in any vehicle. Simply superb! We are supposed to get from 8 to 12" of snow between tonight and tomorrow, so I'm kind of excited to go exploring if we really get that much. We got 4" the other night and I had some fun running around town on un-plowed streets.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Joe

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have some sort of bug with the sat nav system as a whole and honestly, I'd take it into the dealer for a check-up. It could honestly be just about anything when it comes to the software operating system.

As for the window issue, it sounds like a bad switch and I'd ask the dealership to replace it. If it doesn't go away, then they'll need to figure it out. But my assumption is this is not controlled by the software as that would be isolated from the switch since it's part mechanical (ball-bearings inside the switch) that may trigger a relay. But I could be wrong.

Hope this helps... but yeah, I'd say it's in need of a dealership visit. Good luck and please report back. I love my LR4 so much, even little things like this aren't a big deal, since almost all new cars today have bugs. I've had a slew of new BMWs in the past three-years and the electrical issues were worse than owning an old Jag.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
volume is a known issue i believe...should be able to get fix from dealer.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the radio issue happen about three times. Sometimes the screen will work ans other times it wont. Restarting the truck doesnt seem to fix. It tends to need more time before the restart. I brought the issue up before in July. We have 8000 miles on ours.

I have not heard of the window switch issue and would tend to agree that it may be a faulty switch.

Still in love with mine, even with a couple little electrical gremlins.

Rob

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the radio issue happen about three times. Sometimes the screen will work ans other times it wont. Restarting the truck doesnt seem to fix. It tends to need more time before the restart. I brought the issue up before in July. We have 8000 miles on ours.

I have not heard of the window switch issue and would tend to agree that it may be a faulty switch.

Still in love with mine, even with a couple little electrical gremlins.

Rob

Electrical gremlins are the only thing I can really fault with this truck. We have had the blank nav screen/nothing working once; have had to have the fuel level sensor replaced after it would show empty tank even after a fill up; have had the stereo possessed by demons of full volume static that responded to nothing once, and thats about it. The LR hood wind deflector is cheap plastic crap, most accessories other than floor mats seem to have been designed by someone without access to the vehicle for testing. I will stay away from the LR accessories for now, and take it to the dealership for every little electrical quirk to be documented within warranty, and be a happy guy.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen! Encountered what I would say is our first real issue with our 5 month old LR4 last night. Drove my wife to a friend house, and while en route, I turned down the volume of the radio (on a local FM station) and after I dropped her off, I went to turn the volume back up. Nothing, absolutely nothing. The screen was still on the radio FM audio screen, but the volume knob did not work. Then when I tried to change the channel to another FM channel, nothing happened. Same goes for trying to change it to the Sat. screen, and or CD input. I tried turning it "on / off" and that did nothing.

I needed gas anyway, so I figured I'd turn the truck off, and then back on to see if it cleared. Unfortunately, when I did this, the entire information screen (even the back up camera) went completely dead. Black screen (as would appear if it were completely turned off). Nothing worked on the screen at all. Would not respond to "on / off" inputs or placing the vehicle into "reverse, forward, back into reverse", or NAV or anything.

Fast forward to this morning, and when I started up the vehicle, everything seems to be working normally. What is also weird is that about a month ago, we got into the vehicle and when we turned the radio on, all the speakers on the "right side" of the vehicle were "off" as if you went to the audio screen and physically turned down all the right side speakers to off. The left side worked fine, including the sub-woofer, but it was as if the speaker wires to the entire right side of the vehicle were cut. After we got to our destination and turned the vehicle off, we restarted the vehicle and all the speakers came back on again. It only did that once, but it seemed to have corrected itself as it's not done that again.

Also, something else that we noticed a few weeks ago, is that the drivers side front window "auto up" feature does not seem to work. It does the "auto down", but not the "auto up". All the rest of the windows work fine, including the drivers controls for all windows and the individual window buttons, but not the drivers window / button. Anyone else seen this? I almost assume it's as if the function has been disabled, but I can't figure out where you'd even do this. I was planning on taking it the dealer at some point and ask as it's not really that big a deal, but now with the "radio wack out problem" I encountered last night, I'm thinking it needs to go in sooner rather then later.

Anyone else see either of these issues? Am I doing something wrong? We have 7500 miles on the beast and have not had any other issues. We love the truck and it's a BEAST in the snow providing you put it into "snow" mode. Also, I can't recommend enough the OEM rubber floor mats. I've never seen a better constructed, better fitting all weather mat in any vehicle. Simply superb! We are supposed to get from 8 to 12" of snow between tonight and tomorrow, so I'm kind of excited to go exploring if we really get that much. We got 4" the other night and I had some fun running around town on un-plowed streets.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Joe

I had my screen go black on me about 3 times but not since i took my truck in for the 15k service ( had my done at 13k) and that was 3 months ago and so far so good! Sounds like you have a electrical issue with the window and i am willing to bet will be easily fixed at the dealership. The truck ROCKS! I have 15k on it, 13 months old and not one issue. ZERO. You are right about the rubber mats, i brought them when i purchased the vehicle and hands down the best thing to use to protect your vehicle interior. They fit like a glove!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my screen go black on me about 3 times but not since i took my truck in for the 15k service ( had my done at 13k) and that was 3 months ago and so far so good! Sounds like you have a electrical issue with the window and i am willing to bet will be easily fixed at the dealership. The truck ROCKS! I have 15k on it, 13 months old and not one issue. ZERO. You are right about the rubber mats, i brought them when i purchased the vehicle and hands down the best thing to use to protect your vehicle interior. They fit like a glove!

Oh, man... I have to get the rubber mats. It's on my Christmas list (the only thing actually), so hopefully Santa (my wonderful wife) will surprise me! :)

As for the nav issues, radio etc., those are all software bugs and it looks like LR is ironing them out with some SIBs. I personally don't have any issues, but if I did, wouldn't think differently of LR, because all new cars today, including BMW, Merc, etc., have software bugs. These are new systems for the industry and we're their QA.

And as for Harriet, it's the first vehicle in a very long time, that I personally love to stare at, drive and enjoy. The design alone is stunning, there's nothing like it out there. And since they aren't mass, like BMWs and Toyotas (BMW is the new German Toyota IMO) it makes owning a LR even more special!

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off topic a bit... those who got the mats, did you install the screws for them? i left them out and they stayed in place. just wondering what you think.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine stay in place pretty well. Only the third row mat moves when the third row is in use.

Every once in a while, the second row mats will move a little. They are so heavy that it takes quite a bit of coaxing to get them out of place.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112