Can't get into Extended mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that jack and it works well in the garage. You're not taking that jack on the road with you though!

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my LR4 back from the shop to get the extended mode fixed and they needed to re-calibrate the air suspension. I started asking questions about the air suspension fail points to the mechanic guy and he thought if my air bags haven't been replaced then I need to replace them and the air compressor. How would you tell if the air struts have been replaced? It has 105k miles on it now and planned to take it overlanding next week. I'd hate to be out there with an air bag failure lol. The mechanic guy suggested a spring conversion but that isn't for me.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 117k on my 2012, original air bags as far as I know. New compressor though, and that's an easy replacement. The compressor generally won't just fail suddenly, it starts to wear out and be less efficient and you get codes that things are taking too long. Air bag (or air line) failure will drop you to the bump stops. If you have an xlifter, you can use it to lie to the system and at least get 3 bags inflated again and let you limp out. If you have a line failure, you're SOL and, some folks have put together kits to enable manually inflating the bags using a portable compressor, and that's on my list of things to do.

Spring conversions definitely simplify the system, but I find the air suspension a feature, even if it's a complicated one.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you can also look at the air springs as they have the original date on them, I believe this is quite well documented on this and other forums. Mine is a 2012 as well (98K miles) and is still on the original springs; I have no intention of replacing them until they fail but I also don't offroad... I do have a new compressor (AMK), it's pretty simple to replace but as ftillier points out; the fail will be gradual.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called a few shops on my carfax history and found on 11/15/19 at 64k mi they installed a new AMK compressor, relay and an install kit.

One shop I called said to raise the suspension and see if the compressor runs more. Would a good test be to raise the suspension in off-road mode, measure the bottom fender height and then re-measure in 12hrs or so? Should there be any expected drop?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be no drop, but the car will make adjustments if needed while "off". To perform the test properly, you raise it to off-road height and pull the fuse to the EAS controller (fuse box next to the battery under the hood), measure the heights and then let it sit. It should hold position. Re-measure and see which corner (if any) dropped, and that will give you a hint of where to start your investigation.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I go out to work on the LR4 and it doesn't do extended mode lol. The shop told me it was working fine as did the mechanic. It could be coincidental that they needed to take my money over the phone and the foreman guy was gone when I got there.

Long story short they didn't know extended mode existed. They thought there were just 3 modes. The shop finally googled it and ran a test with the jack to invoke extended mode. I started to think I'm losing my mind.

Does anyone have an additional ride height adjustment upwards with the button press when in off-road mode?

They gave me a quote for the shock replacements, $3,650 for the fronts and $3,533 for the rears. They charge $525 for labor to install each one. Does that sound about right?

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's seems super expensive; I watched a few videos to see how to do the swap and it looked pretty easy; I'm having trouble to quickly find OEM spring/shock prices but even at $600 or $700 per corner that would still be less in parts than they're quoting for either end... Anyway, why replace them if they're OK? If you're leaking first look at the three valve blocks and service them (it's quite easy - apart from extracting the rear block).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4