Overall height with frontrunner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm picking up a 2016 HSE, and trying to figure out rack options...

I did a deep dive trying to find this info in previous posts but I couldn't find a clear answer.

Does anyone have the overall max height (stock, no rods etc) including the frontrunner rack, when in normal mode not access height? Piecing things together from other posts it looks like maybe it's 78" but hoping someone can confirm.

Thanks very much!

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
What's your maximum height limit? Maybe work from there.

I have a Frontrunner Slimline II rack. I also have the SYA kit installed and I can no longer get down to access height. I went through a 6' 10" garage and was probably 2" - 4" from hitting a structural concrete beam. There are variances in heights. Normally I would never take it under 7', and 6' 10" was pushing it in my books.

In reality, I was probably at 6' 8" (without measuring) at normal height, access mode would probably drop it 1.5" or 2". If of had to guess, about 6' 6" at access height.

Reaction score
Thanks! Max height is 88". But trying to squeeze a low-profile box on there, too...

It looks like the car's at 74" in normal height, and the lowest profile box I can find is 10"H. So I'd have 4" max. Super tight.

DrDan

Reaction score
The Front Runner Slim Line rack on my LR4 adds about 4 inches to the height of the car as measured
in the center of the roof at the rear tail gate. I have the short version as I wanted to keep the sun roof
clear. With 32 inch tires and the 1.5 Johnson rods at access height I can pull into my garage with a
7 ft door opening.

Reaction score
Thank you!

I'm also doing the short version. Trying to figure out how to finish the ditches when I pull the full length rails.

Did you do that, or did you have the short rails to start?

DrDan

Reaction score
cbarr, I originally started following the Front Runner install instructions, then discovered after putting
in one side rail that I could simply pop out the plugs for factory welded nuts in the roof. The rack bolted
in with no problem and I have the factory trim in place. The Front Runner instructions wants you to cut
the plastic/rubber trim piece on the roof. I have had the rack on since 2014 with no problems. I have
Front Runner add-ons for 2 jerry gas cans, 4 Maxtrax, shovel, and added bolts to secure a Thule ski box,
although I have to remove these things to get the car into the garage.

Reaction score
Oh that's interesting! I assumed that when you remove the actual rail, there would be gaps toward the front (I'm doing the 3/4 rack). This is great to know.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM