Plasti-Dipped Wheel Arches and Plastics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The letters were easy... I was really impressed how the dip peeled away underneath the letters. No masking is needed like you would for spray paint. For inside some of the letters, I uesd a toothpick to get a break in the surface and then it peeled right out.
What the heck is Plasti-Dip? Is this the rubber grip stuff you put on tools? That's what came up in search...

My plastic is starting to show, but not enough that I am motivated to do the entire truck. My letters look like crap, though, so you have my interest.

Once I figure out what this plasti-dip stuff is, I guess I can get a color I like and it sounds like spraying the letters is no problem.
Do you wipe them with rubbing alcohol first or anything to prep the surface?
Do you have to cut around the letters with a blade to before you peel off the overspray from the hood?

Interested. Thanks!

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Toddjb122, here's what I did to my truck today, just finished about an hour ago.
Plastidipped grill black and redid my side vents with plastidip. I also hit up all my black trim with armor all black trim restorer.

Attachments

• IMG_7130.JPG
    IMG_7130.JPG
    739.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7132.JPG
    IMG_7132.JPG
    475.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7134.JPG
    IMG_7134.JPG
    513.6 KB · Views: 93

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck is Plasti-Dip? Is this the rubber grip stuff you put on tools? That's what came up in search...

My plastic is starting to show, but not enough that I am motivated to do the entire truck. My letters look like crap, though, so you have my interest.

Once I figure out what this plasti-dip stuff is, I guess I can get a color I like and it sounds like spraying the letters is no problem.
Do you wipe them with rubbing alcohol first or anything to prep the surface?
Do you have to cut around the letters with a blade to before you peel off the overspray from the hood?

Interested. Thanks!
Plastidip can be bought at Home Depot for $6.40 out the door. Its a rubberized paint that you can spray on your rims, plastics almost anything, and if you don't like the color anymore you peel it off. Yes clean the surface you want to paint with rubbing alcohol to remove grease, wax, dirt. Apply plastidip in thin layers. Google plastidip and you'll get tons of youtube videos by a guy name Fonz. Don't get the imitation brands, get plastidip, I heard rustoleums goes on thin and rips pretty easily. :) Oh also if you have a rip in the plastidip you can use paint thinner to fix the rip let dry and than respray over with the plastidip.

IMG_7133.jpg

Last edited:

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do love the look of the Tonga green as well.. your hood looks sweet especially against the green!

Here are a few pics of the letters... turned out great with 5 coats. No cutting or trimming with a blade is required. It just peels cleanly right at the crease of the letter and hood.

Attachments

• 20141218_170907.jpg
    20141218_170907.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20141218_170921.jpg
    20141218_170921.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20141218_170938.jpg
    20141218_170938.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 84

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...I'll bite: *** is "plasti-dipping?"

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See my post number 13 :) rubberized paint which isn't permanent but protects rims, plastics, hood, etc...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Here are a few pics of the letters... turned out great with 5 coats. No cutting or trimming with a blade is required. It just peels cleanly right at the crease of the letter and hood.

Okay, sold! I'm doing my letters.

It sounds like a risk free task. If I don't like the look, I can just peel it off. Appreciate the tips!

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, sold! I'm doing my letters.

It sounds like a risk free task. If I don't like the look, I can just peel it off. Appreciate the tips!

I think you will be surprised with the ease once you do it... I was and impressed!

ralph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic dip

Did my wheels with their new color Anthracite Grey....love the color. I did take off each wheel and did the insides too. Used three cans of spray.

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the grey, pretty slick. :cool: Now the question now is to glossify or not to glossify??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV