Please Help w/ MYSTERY: Paint Peeling from Plastic Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

Colt45

Hello everyone - - I got my LR3 back from the shop a couple days ago. They reinstalled some driving lights that hadn't been put in right the first time and painted the gloss black plastic front bumper where it had been scatched during the install. - - The car looked absolutely gorgeous when I got it back ! - - - Sigh, . . . well today was the first day that I washed the car since I got it back two days ago. (They had washed it before returning it to me.) I went to the same car wash that I have used for 5-6 years . I had used this car wash for a total of 3-4 times on the LR3 since I got it a couple weeks ago. - - But this time I found that black paint was peeling away from my front plastic bumper as I dried the car. It kinda looks like the blotchy spots you get after getting a tan when the skin later peels away. This peeling extends over several different plastic parts. These parts are semi-gloss black, so with the paint peeled away they appear gray underneath. - - - I didn't do anything differently than I have done before with my other cars and with the LR3. The only plastic parts affected are on the drivers side front bumper. The rest of the front bumper and none of the other wheel well plastic, bumpers, etc made out of the same type of plastic were affected. Any ideas on what might have caused this ? - - I use a manual coin op car wash, and do all the scrubbing and drying by hand. I don't use any other types of products such as plastic trim cleaner/conditioners, etc. on my vehicle. - - - It looks terrible so it'll need to be taken care of. Your ideas on the cause of this would really be appreciated. Thanks - - -

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's called a poor re-paint job. There are numerous reasons it could happen -- and only the painter would have an accurate clue why it may have happened. I'd have see it in person to make any comment.

Anyway, they botched it and it can't be anything you did. If your dealer's service department coordinated this re-paint, they really need to revisit who they work with.

D

disco1

We are discussing the plastic part that was scratched during the light install, or is this occuring over some other parts?

C

Colt45

Hi everyone - - I've been on vacation and away from the computer so this is my first chance to reply. - - - The peeling paint is on the bumper that was repainted because it was scratched during the driving lights install and also is on the left front wheel fairing (made of plastic) and on part of the bumper that wasn't repainted the first time. - - I got the LR3 back on a Friday and discovered the paint peeling after washing the car on Sunday. The only thing I imagine is that the vehicle was somehow exposed to some kind of caustic material/fumes that caused this. I'll make a very close inspection of the entire vehicle to make sure there are no other areas with this problem. - - I called Land Rover the day after I discovered the paint problem (Monday) and they said "No problem . . . we'll do whatever it takes to make it right." I'll keep you all posted. Thank you for your comments. - - -

N

Nomad

Colt45,
Painting that plastic surface was the first problem. Have you seen that stuff guys its like this space aged super plastic. Nothing can adhere to it. Anyway I once scratched my right front fender flaring pretty good when parking in a tight area. Turns out the peice was $80 installed (yes after labor). Now those of us who have owned a Land Rover pre-Ford knows that a big peice of body like that is a bargin at $80 installed. They replaced it in under an hour and it was perfect. Point is: I dont think you can succefully paint those plastic peices. I hope it gets figured out. If I were you I would push Land Rover to replace them all for new body work.

Good Luck,
Nomad

C

Colt45

The place where they scratched it - and then repainted it - was fine, its just that they somehow messed up the paint on several other unrelated places when they did the paint job (as far as I can figure out). - - - You make a great point Nomad - - I will bring it up to them when I go in that I don't want this to be a reoccuring problem. So far, most of the problems I've had with the vehicle have been due to the work of those in the shop. - - - It would be interesting to see how readily available body parts are for the LR3 at this point.

N

Nomad

Well in my experience they had that plastic fender piece overnight. I also had the entire AC unit replaced because they fried it when installing my winch by accident. That AC unit came overnight. I got to say having Ford making your favorite car in the world is not a bad idea when they have American production efficiency keeping costs down.

Good luck Colt45 I'm sure Land Rover will make it right. I would keep in touch with Land Rover Customer Service as their sole existence is to clean up Land Rovers tainted history.

Faulty or not...you wont find me driving down the trail in any thing else. :D

Cheers,
Nomad

L

LR3_WA

Has anyone had luck with fixing a scratch on the non-painted plastic ?

Some *$%&^#* thought he/she had room pulling out of a parking spot and put a scratch/gouge on my rear bumper. I'm hoping to buff it out or something as I'm sure the entire rear bumper is not cheap.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, it's really impossible to do anything with textured plastic that has been physically damaged. In general, you'll probably cause more damage trying to "fix" it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9