Powder Coat or Spray Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested in peoples thoughts on powder coating wheels matte black vs spray painting them. Any thoughts?

Spray painting is obviously cheaper, but maybe some tips on making them look nice.

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a friend that used the Rustolem spray bed liner paint on the 20 inch factor wheels on his Infiniti FX. When I heard he was doing that, I thought it would look like crap. However, to my suprise it looked very good. He did it a month ago and it still looks good.

I'll attempt to load some pics of his. If you want details on how he did it, I will be glad to ask, just let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph....468520963685.259100.668233685&type=1&theater

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you plan on wheeling it, go with spray paint. i had a set of wheels for my LR3 powdercoated black, which hasn't held up all that great. i also have used rustoleum on my wife's D2 wheels a few times, which is super easy to touch up and a heck of a lot cheaper. i initially painted them black and recently converted them to white.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i think you guys have convinced me to go with the spray paint. Im intrigued by the white though. I was thinking about that as an option as it seems everyone goes black. Ive got the 5 spoke oem wheels for a white LR3. wonder what it would look like on those. kinda like it on your wifes disco.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do know the LR3 creates a boat load of brake dust right? Had white wheels on a motorcycle before and it was a pain to keep them looking good.

Powdercoat....had all mine done plus new tires mounted for $350.

McAnally

Reaction score
I've got a friend that used the Rustolem spray bed liner paint on the 20 inch factor wheels on his Infiniti FX. When I heard he was doing that, I thought it would look like crap. However, to my suprise it looked very good. He did it a month ago and it still looks good.

I'll attempt to load some pics of his. If you want details on how he did it, I will be glad to ask, just let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph....468520963685.259100.668233685&type=1&theater

I'd love to see how this turned out and get details on how it was done, but when I click the link it says "content not found". Any other links you can post?

Thanks

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently I'm an idiot because I can't seem to upload the photos. I sent you a PM, give me your email address and I will send the pictures to you via apast into a Word document.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 4 light coats of etching primer after 300 grit sanding then 4 coats of flat followed by 4 coats OD uv clear coat. Lasted through the winter. I used rustoleum. Turned out quite well for 30$. They wanted $250 here to powder coat.

PhilSessions

Reaction score
A sector of my family business is Powder Coating. PM me and we'll talk. Its simply throwing them on the line with all the other parts we do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72