Power Steering Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

Craig

Hi Folks,
I have a 1989 Range Rover Vogue SE Auto and the power steering has a nasty leak. The pump is fine, the leak appears to be coming from lower down by the rack. It's started to go through a quart of fluid every couple of days.
I believe there is a seal kit for this problem although a reconditioned part is probably the best way forward. I am currently on holiday back in the UK and was hoping to pick up a seal kit, a reconditioned part is likely to tip the scales on my hand baggage!
Any help greatly appreciated.

Craig

C

Craig

I've found the part number for the seal kit. Took a while as the seals used to be sold seperately. The kit is #STC 2848 if this helps anybody, now I just need to find a dealer that has one in stock!
Got the info from Mylchreests garage in Douglas Isle of Man, where I currently am. Very accomodating.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Craig: Have you considered draining the whole system first (which is what I did on my 1998 D1) and replacing with the Lucas Power Steering product? The Lucas product should run about 7.99 plus tax and can be found @ most auto parts stores. Mine was leaking a bit and that solved the problem for now. Another option would be to take a good look at the clamps on the hoses. The factory style hoses have a tendency to leak over time (more so on the high pressure hose).

Hope this helps.
Melissa
1998 D1 77K miles

D

discomike

Melissas,
Lucas is great but it sounds like this is abigger leak then even it can handle. Craig,
I would suggest you put in a bottle though after you reseal the unit, just to keep it happy.
Mike J.

C

Craig

Thanks guys, I'll go to Lucas and get some of this stuff.

Craig.

D

discomike

Craig,
Just remember that Lucas is good but if you seal is really blown there is no better fix then replacing it.
Mike J.

C

Craig

Got a friend of mine looking for the kit just now. There is no way any fluid will stop this leak!

Craig.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roverconnection can special order stuff like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo