Preferred LR3 Owners Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ LR3

Reaction score
The LR spec upgrade is rather interesting and is the reason I mentioned the VW spec upgrade. In the case of Land Rover, it would appear that LR did not wish to draw attention to the change whereas VW made a big deal of it, (letters written to registered owners etc), and then backed up their belief with an engine warranty extension.

The letters and warranty extension had nothing whatsoever to do with VW choices. It was all mandated by the settlement of the oil sludge class action litigation.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Castrol conventional = Castrol GTX?

If by Castrol conventional, you mean Castrol GTX, then I would say all is OK.

Per the link below, the GTX SAE 5W-30 meets the GF-3 and GF-4 specs. Yes, it would appear to be a not synthetic, but as it meets both GF-3 and GF-4, the Land Rover original and revised requirement, then all is well and both you and your dealer are following the LR recommendation.

I think the general reason for the trend to synthetic oils is the difficulty refiners are having getting quality feedstock to make the older "real" oils. The transition is also being confused with words such as green, enviro friendly, and the like, but the real reason is just the difficulty of manufacturing the older oils. It is kind of like old growth trees, there are not too many around any longer to replace the main mast on some old 3 master.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915464&contentId=6003410

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes more sense.

The letters and warranty extension had nothing whatsoever to do with VW choices. It was all mandated by the settlement of the oil sludge class action litigation.
Your clarification makes more sense than me thinking it was VW showing some sort of corporate honour.

I guess VW had me fooled; the warranty extension was the real surprise so the mandate requirement forcing the issue makes more sense. Thanks for the heads up.

Fool that I am to think a sense of responsibility ....

AZ LR3

Reaction score
The VW oil sludge settlement sort of mirrored the Mercedes oil sludge case settlement. The Mercedes settlement mandated synthetic oil (in exchange for the extended warranty) but the litigation was U.S. only and they never made the change in the rest of the world - conventional oil was still approved for the same engines - which made it look more like of a convenient legal manuver than a deeply held engineering belief. This was circa 2003.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Castrol 5w-30 in the go block, Ravenol in the tranny and 70w 85 in T box/Diffs.

I am a big Castrol guy, put the high mileage in my scouts and so far it is good. I did use Mobile one grease, and I am sure it is a great product. Was an Amsoil dealer back in the day, and if you are looking to extend drain intervals its a good setup. Has alot of holding capacity due to its molecular setup supposedly. IF you can run extra filters you can extend out change intevals to more than cover the cost. It's funny how everyone pooped on Amsoil as Snake oil for being synthetic and now the market is going that was hard huh? I got out of it because no one believed in it back in 2000. But I was one of the first to run testing in marine diesels and diesel pickups and it was great. They did us free oil samples , etc. as their test case and we were getting 20K on oil changes with a dual filter bypass setup. Not sure how far you would get without the extra filtration but IMO good stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72