Preparing to buy a 2007 LR3 HSE with 75K miles for $15K - what issues to check for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raj1

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a novice in this forum. I recently test drove a first-owner 2007 LR3 HSE in the Bay Area with 75K miles on it and fell in love. He is offering it to me for $15K. The car seems to be maintained really well and he has detailed service records for the past 8 years. Carfax came clean too.

Questions:
1. Does this sound like a good deal to you guys?

2. What are the things I should have my mechanic focus upon when inspecting the vehicle before purchase? Any big-ticket / common items in particular to be aware of?

3. I have 3 kids in toddler car seats to accommodate in the LR3 if I go for it. Any issues I should be aware of?

4. What kind of mileage should I expect even though the sticker says 14/19?

5. What sort of annual maintenance bill shall I plan for?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mpg: exactly that with stock tires and no roof rack which would add a lot of wind drag.

2nd row:
My guess is some types of car seats are too wide but others would work fine. So it depends on yours. Center seat is obviously narrower than the 2 outboard seats.. total width to work with is about 52" max. For example, something like a Land Cruiser 200 series (2008+) is wider in 2nd row seat.

Price: seems fine actually, but it really does depend on what could go wrong in the next 25,000 miles or 1-2 years. It's entering the expensive period for repairs if nothing major has been done yet. Nice records are nice, but mine has had $14k in repairs since 50,000 miles, most of which were in the 75-100k range.

Does it have any warranty? If you were buying my 2007 HSE, and it only had 75k right now, the extended warranty I had would run until October 2015. I just went over 100 though so it's finished. I'd want a warranty vehicle at that mileage.

It's gambling. Pay "only" $15k today, then how much in next 25k? Pay $17k for one with maybe a warranty until mid 2016, then it's a better deal in my opinion.

Air compressor: if it's never been replaced. $800
suspension things like bushings, tie rods, wheel bearings, various joints, maybe rear differential - if all original, .... they're getting old.
My ac went out around 50k, an air spring.

Find one with warranty if nothing besides basic service has been done.

Raj1

Reaction score
That's great feedback, jwest. Let me CHk on the warranty.

In the event the current owner does not have an ongoing / valid warranty, is there a way I can buy a policy on my own to cover any repairs? Thanks

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great feedback, jwest. Let me CHk on the warranty.

In the event the current owner does not have an ongoing / valid warranty, is there a way I can buy a policy on my own to cover any repairs? Thanks

Yes, but at 75k, it'll be a lot more $ than if done before 50k. Mine cost $4500 after tax for 4 more years/50k more miles so I had a total of 8 years/100,000 miles. zero deductible is VERY smart too. I went in probably 10+ times. x $100 each visit would have been that much more for the same coverage.

Raj1

Reaction score
Yes, but at 75k, it'll be a lot more $ than if done before 50k. Mine cost $4500 after tax for 4 more years/50k more miles so I had a total of 8 years/100,000 miles. zero deductible is VERY smart too. I went in probably 10+ times. x $100 each visit would have been that much more for the same coverage.
Thanks jwest. I think I will start shopping around for warranties. Any suggestions on which companies to approach for warranties for cars which donot have ongoing warranty? Thanks

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I would want is one that a Land Rover dealer has good working experience with even if they don't sell them.

The dealers here, sell different brands including their own. Mine was through First Automotive. National in Oregon is known to be good to work with.

First call a few dealers and talk with the service dept to see who they like. Then talk with the finance person, they sell the warranties. Don't waste their time with deductible pricing, it'll eat you alive ;) How annoying is going in for a $100 part, $80 labor, but you pay $100, and then again in a month?

Make it simple: max miles, probably 100 to 125 ish k miles is most possible. Then estimate your years and only get what you are likely to do.

In my case I went max years, 4, knowing I'd use at least 3+ and did by 6 months. I am wishing I'd looked around a little more to find a 125k coverage. Oh, another one is sold usually for VW but I think it can also be for other makes. Not sure, but Chris on the ClubTouareg forum. He's searchable on there under warranty info.

Where are you located? I have some good dealer connections in NC (Leith)and TN.

Raj1

Reaction score
What I would want is one that a Land Rover dealer has good working experience with even if they don't sell them.

The dealers here, sell different brands including their own. Mine was through First Automotive. National in Oregon is known to be good to work with.

First call a few dealers and talk with the service dept to see who they like. Then talk with the finance person, they sell the warranties. Don't waste their time with deductible pricing, it'll eat you alive ;) How annoying is going in for a $100 part, $80 labor, but you pay $100, and then again in a month?

Make it simple: max miles, probably 100 to 125 ish k miles is most possible. Then estimate your years and only get what you are likely to do.

In my case I went max years, 4, knowing I'd use at least 3+ and did by 6 months. I am wishing I'd looked around a little more to find a 125k coverage. Oh, another one is sold usually for VW but I think it can also be for other makes. Not sure, but Chris on the ClubTouareg forum. He's searchable on there under warranty info.

Where are you located? I have some good dealer connections in NC (Leith)and TN.
Thanks, jwest. I am based in Los Angeles. Any referrals you have are appreciated.

I also spoke with Ford ESP and they told me that the only way I could buy an ESP is via a Ford dealer. I contacted the local Ford dealer and they will inspect the car and then give me a quote. They also charge for an inspection :)

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
When I bought mine, I got the Fidelity Platinum warranty (the top tier one) on it from the previous owner. I know I may have to replace inner and outer tie ends soon but unfortunately that is "wear and tear" and not covered. So I am not sure that these wear and tear items can be covered under these warranties or if warranty is more of a safety net for a big breakdown (more so if you are not getting a LR mechanic to completely vet a used car before buying).

Has anyone been able to use warranty for items such as tie ends, etc?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, jwest. I am based in Los Angeles. Any referrals you have are appreciated.

I also spoke with Ford ESP and they told me that the only way I could buy an ESP is via a Ford dealer. I contacted the local Ford dealer and they will inspect the car and then give me a quote. They also charge for an inspection :)

No, do not pay for an inspection just to get warranty pricing. The prices don't freaking change. They will probably only sell the warranty with an inspection but then you should negotiate, include the inspection if buying the expensive warranty and probably taking it there for any resulting work.

Do not pay first. Demand the pricing first. That's total BS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4