Q's for owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

Blkmagnum

My sister is considering an LR3, and being the car dork that I am, I decided to do some research. I have some Q's concerning your LR3's:

1. How is the car merging and passing on the highway? Usually ******** SUV's (hate to call it that) have pretty low gearing which can hinder acceleration at higher speeds. Is this the case in these. I know it's not a sports car but can it get out of it's own way at speed?

2. How high does the engine rev (RPM's)? I saw that the V8 is actually pretty small (4.4 L) and wanted to know if the engine is reving hard all the time. Does this make for a noisy ride at highway speed?

3. How is the electrical system? I had always heard that Land Rovers tend to have electrical system problems. Has this been remedied since the Ford takeover? Not trying to offend just become informed.

Any other issues or impressions would be helpful. Thanks

F

Freeflytim

Yeah, 5700lbs is a bunch to pull but if you keep the transmission lever in 'sport mode' and get on it, it will go. Sport mode drops gears faster. Its completely automatic for me now to move the transmission lever to the left to have sport mode. It does make difference. The engine may be small, but its got 300 Jaguar ponies in it.

Visibility is out of this world. One time I was doing a VERY aggressive 85+MPH 3 lane far right lane to far left lane maneuver and as I was getting to the left lane I spotted over the middle lane car a piece of retread and I knew to swing it REALLY wide onto the left shoulder to miss it. Yeah, that’s right, I saw the retread OVER the car in front of me! The Mercedes following my lead wasn’t so lucky… He hit it so hard it went OVER the hood! He took the next exit. Its hard to imagine the situation, but believe me, at the angle I was changing lanes the LR’s visibility prevented me from hitting it.

The full time 4x4 with the DSC- Dynamic Stability Control is nuts. I honestly don’t slow down when it rains. It will not lose traction. I like hitting exit ramps in the rain at speed now. I have yet had it lose grip.

If you go back to the early posts, yeah, there were some problems. But now, for the most part, you don’t hear people screaming as loud as they were. The gremlins are getting worked out. You don’t hear about it stalling anymore, like the Prius is now. Heh heh heh. The longer you wait, the more gremlins are worked out via software and hardware. I have 100% confidence in my truck.

You got almost 3 tons of truck and wraparound air-bags. Some message board somewhere someone posted that it weighs as much as it does because LR wanted to win the safety crash tests done by the insurance industry.

Some don’t like the headrests, which don’t adjust, because they say they bounce their heads on them. Yeah, you do. In a prior Yukon, I was rearended hard enough to make the aftermarket radio slip half-way outta the dash. I remember as it was happening “Where’s the headrest?!” I don’t think Id have that thought in the DS/LR3 ‘cause its only an inch behind my head.

If I were in you shoes, the visibility and DSC alone would give me warm and fuzzies and make the sale.

-TIM
Tennessee USA

Last edited by a moderator:
T

toddjb123

i just moved from a durango with a 5.9L V8 to this 4.4 V8 - yes, I notice that it revs higher and is a bit louder. Don't notice it at highway speeds, but more so when i'm heavy on the pedal. (the old chrysler engine I had would just kick back, suck some fuel, and kick ass off the line w/o flinching :) ...the 4.4, though, is a great engine, seems just as quick, and you'll quickly start to ignore any rev difference. but maybe that's because its got such a great stereo...

T

texas911

Power is plenty for an SUV, passing is confident. I don't mine the higher revving engine, its a DOHC 4 valver, so it has lungs, but it also has plenty of torque down low.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99