rack install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landy103

Reaction score
hello
I'm about to try installing a baja-rack on my 2012 LR4 and was wondering if anyone out there had any tips to share - in particular I was trying to get the plastic plugs out with a putty knife but they don't seem to want to budge .. scared I might shear off the cap top and leave the rest of the plug in the hole ... (see attached pic)
Are they threaded? What's the trick?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 29

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they sell a tool that wraps around the plug. Keep me posted on install. Looking at the same rack without rails.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a trim puller and some finesse. The trim puller came from an auto parts store. Looks like a two-tined forked (but the tines are wide and flat). Worked pretty good for popping out the plugs without ruining them.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you watched this video? At about 1:16 he shows how to use a couple of tools to apply leverage and safely pop those plugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV7AMmIrxA8

PS: A putty knife is not recommended because it will put some lateral force on the plug as well as not giving that wraparound lifting effect of a forked tool...a recipe for snappage.

Last edited:

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure if those plugs are the same as the RRS, but I had to unscrew those plugs. mine are screw type plugs.

landy103

Reaction score
rack done

thanks everybody for your responses - much appreciated. I ended up using the metal putty knife as a base, then I cut a long narrow 'V' in a plastic putty knife and used that to get under the cap and around the pin on both sides - then finally twist a screwdriver between the two to lift the plug up and out.

the rack is very sturdy and I have already tested it out this weekend in Tahoe :)

cheers
A

Attachments

• landy1.jpg
    landy1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 37
  • landy2.jpg
    landy2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 30

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the setup! Got a picture of the tent stowed away?

landy103

Reaction score
thanks! here are some pics of the tent stowed away ... it basically folds up into a rectangle with the ladder on top, then there's a PVC cover that goes over it and zips up around the bottoms edges..
(it's a 'Howling Moon Stargazer' tent .. sierraexpeditions dot com)

Attachments

• IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads