Really high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hey well I just picked the D1 up from Rover Cannibal and the new pump is installed..However @ idle in all gears the engine is running @ 2300 -2400 RPM's..There is no check engine light yet no pd codes ..and @ first I thought it was the throttle cable was too tight ..thats not it @ all.. It acts like someone is holding down the gas pedal...from inside the truck ...Any thoughts. The shop has closed for the night .. here we go again. It never did this before the "new" pump if that helps.. The engine is RACING and the car is in Park...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Try disconnecting the Battery for a about 10 minutes and see if that clears the memory and fixes the issue.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it was at CarCannibal.. ahemm...

Do you still have original stepper motor? Did you check throttle plate? Do you still have original MAF sensor?

Check if someone forgot something inside your airbox. High rpms can be there also b/c air is too restricted..

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fast idle, & other tests

Rover Chick, check all vacuum lines,pulled off, loose or cracked. Remove the stepper motor and watch the plunger at the same time have someone start the engine, with the hole in the airbox open you should have a high idle and the plunger extend.
This is a check for the stepper motor to see if it's functioning, with motor off and ignition on the plunger should retract. Go to plan B, take it back to the people who replaced the pump. The mystery of owning a Rover is when do you start walking. Carl......................o&o>............................................

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Serg I just checked all of the above.. Everything is what was on the truck to begin with (just checked the MAFS ~ I marked it with my name and its still there ~ I also checked that is my stepper motor too) .. It has NEVER done this before... I still have the battery disconnected now..In Idle the rover is sitting @ 2500 RPM?? It should rev in idle @ 700 plus or minus 28 ...I have had it I am calling the Atty General.
I was @ there mercy... It was there or the dealership ...

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
When I put it in N/D with the air on it is *ok*....700RPM ..Tested the Alt again its finr 13.80v ..Battery is good....With out the air on in N/D it jumps to 1000 rpm ...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like the Idle control setting in the ECU....someone correct me if I am wrong....needs set with the Testbook.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stepper motor. Take it out, und clean. Make sure connection is ok.

outdoorfever

Reaction score
lol melissa you are one nutty lady!! lol wait for something else to happen once idle goes back to normal. :tongue: just kidding :ahhhhh:

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Its Not Good

Its not good.....Just back from the shop ..They said something about the thermal switch?? And that there was something wrong with the the idle circuit but they do not know what?? Help ... All of the sensors have been checked and they are all *ok*(ohms) ...VSS, TPS, MAFS.. No check engine... Here again are the problems ~ in N and D only the rover will REV to about 1200rpm?? Only in these gears will it rev this high... Why do I have some weird feeling this *is* the ECU.. WHY ME???
If I run the a/c it helps a bit as far as the rpms go... Is there a way to test the ECU?
Melissa

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72