Rear parking sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 HSE

Ive searched the forums but couldn't find anything similar.
Sometimes, when I throw the LR into reverse, the beeping starts on the rear sensor.. its a continuous beep, even when there is nothing behind me. The funny thing is when I first start the car, then reverse, no problems. Then, when I arrive at my destination, and throw the car into reverse, the long continuous beeping starts.. But this doesn't happen ALL the time either. Very frustrating.

Any thoughts?

thanks

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of your sensors is bad. We had one of ours replaced that did the same thing. Vehicle was still under warranty at the time so I'm not sure what the cost will be.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input..

PaulLR3, how did you guys determine which was the faulty sensor?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure zulu. Being under warranty the dealer figured out which sensor was bad and replaced it. Maybe they have a device that can tell if a sensor was emitting a signal. Or maybe they just started replacing the sensors one at a time until the fault went away.

rhigham

Reaction score
When you have the care in reverse you should hear/feel a clicking/ticking when you touch and closely listen to the sensor. If you don't then thats the one that is bad and will need to be replaced. Just did this repair on my 2009 LR3 and saved myself $250 bucks of labor from the dealer! Part war ordered from Atlantic British and was about $100.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are specific fault codes for specific sensors but that may not differentiate between a wiring (loom) problem and the sensor itself. I thought I had a dead sensor but turned out to be a break in the wire so replacing the rear loom fixed it. Your intermittent problem may be a chafed wire or a loose connection/dirty connection at the sensors or the main connector in the light cluster.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put you ear next to each sensor (when they're activated) and you should hear a faint clicking sound.

I think I've got a chaffed wire (or a not waterproof sensor) in mine, only does it when its wet out, or I take it through a lake

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now, I just gotta find someone that I can trust and have the car in reverse as I kneel down behind and listen for the clicking sound...

Don't wanna give me wife an excuse...

"whoops..how did my foot slip off the brake pedal??"

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now, I just gotta find someone that I can trust and have the car in reverse as I kneel down behind and listen for the clicking sound...

You can do it without the engine running :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90