Rear underbody "wings"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O

offroader

What is the reason for the weird plastic covers on the rear underbody (behind hitch) that look like wings?

Is there an aerodynamic reason?

N

Nomad

I believe you are thinking of the plastic heat shields behind the spare. They protect the spare tire from the heat of the exhaust pipes.

Nomad

O

offroader

Nomad said:
I believe you are thinking of the plastic heat shields behind the spare. They protect the spare tire from the heat of the exhaust pipes.

Nomad

Do you have a picture to show me this? Do these plastics cover the pipes or the silencer (muffler)?

F

Freeflytim

What nomad said. They are not noticeable if you got a full size spare.

N

Nomad

I am talking about the plastic "wings" that are sticking down from the spare tire.
DSC00347.jpg

Nomad

M

mvg

If you are referring to the red plastic caps, those are to protect the tow hitch receiver slot from dust or dirt.

T

toddjb123

my truck must have had wings this weekend. just drove 300+ highway miles and got 19.7 MPG averaging 75 on the highway (computer said 63, including stops and such I guess).

on the trip down i was getting 15.8 which was low for me. did have some A/C on though. and no, it was a flat trip and i actually had a head wind on the way home!

oh yeah, those black wings are to protect the spare tire, like someone else said....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635