Recharge air conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNLR4

Reaction score
How easy/ difficult is it to DIY recharge of air conditioning on the LR4?

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you correct any leaks first. Usually the system never needs recharging unless it’s leaking. That is my understanding, correct me if i’m wrong people.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably true. But my understanding is that when vehicles get older, the seals can dry out. The seals are normally lubricated and kept flexy by the refrigerant, so a lack of use over the winter months can find the system running low come the following spring/summer.

So yeah, technically a "leak," but the cure could involve replacing the entire system.

Salanizi

Reaction score
Anyone know what the fill quantity is for the 2015 3.0scv6 with rear ac is?

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably true. But my understanding is that when vehicles get older, the seals can dry out. The seals are normally lubricated and kept flexy by the refrigerant, so a lack of use over the winter months can find the system running low come the following spring/summer.

So yeah, technically a "leak," but the cure could involve replacing the entire system.
Well that makes sense to me as well….

Delta V

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the low pressure port for the 3.0L SC engine? My wife's 2014 HSE AC isn't performing the best, but when I hooked up the meter I got from Autozone to the green capped port on the RHS of the engine, just next to the engine cover, it's showing adequate pressure (actually once was good, and then another time really high). I did get the new R-1234YF equipment (I tried R134 yesterday not realized there was a new type out there)...damn it's expensive compared to regular 134.

Makes me wonder if there is something else wrong with the system (are the AC compressor clutches prone to failure at all)?

Reaction score
Most newer cars run the a/c during the defrost cycle to dehumidify the air and keep the window more fog free which means the a/c is on ‘year ‘round. Thus resolving the ‘seal drying out topic’. You have to manually turn it off to mot have it in this mode.

Properly recharging a/c is specializes work. A sniffer would be smart to determine if there are leaks. Some are so sensitive they measure in ounces per year leaks.

A can & gauge from autoparts can get you thru, but knowing low side pressures, high side pressures and superheat is what a tech does to avoid overfilling. Risks are poor a/c performance or possibly popping off the system pressure relief.

Its all ‘doable’ but topping off an a/c system is a little trickier than topping off coolant or other fluids.

Lowside (suction) ports are the bigger pipe, high side (liquid) is the much hotter smaller pipe. Start at the compressor and trace pipes to find the ports. They are usually facing up and not obnoxious to find or connect to.

Sabeth

Reaction score
This seems to be mostly true, but I still don't know how to recharge lr3 air when it is empty of refrigerant

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA