Recurring Fault Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a new one or not, but I just made a trip down to Portland and while on I-5, driving at regular interstate speeds (~60mph) in D, I got the following messages/faults:

-HDC unavailable
-Suspension Lowered
-System Fault: Special Programs unavailable.

The amber icons were illuminated as follows: Brake light, suspension icon, DSC icon.

I cannot think of anything unusual as far as conditions. My wife did drive the LR3 on Friday and accidentally left the parking lights on for about an hour. The fault occured twice on the way down to Portland (I pulled over, re-booted and it cleared, then occured again about 10 minutes later). ...and it happened today on the ride home.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Ever get a diagnosis?

Any information is appreciated.

:help:

Trynian

Reaction score
Sounds like the battery so I would check it first.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it could be a possibility...wouldn't a nice long drive allow the alternator to charge it back up though? I am not real savvy on how alternators vs. generators etc work on cars...

Trynian

Reaction score
I thought it could be a possibility...wouldn't a nice long drive allow the alternator to charge it back up though? I am not real savvy on how alternators vs. generators etc work on cars...

Yes, but if the batt is going bad it may charge enough to start the car but you may still get faults on the LR3 from what I understand.

Worth the check I think.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a similar thing happen to me about 3 months ago. my wife was moving some boxes to our new place and was using my LR3 for several days while i was at work. she left the rear tailgate open for about 3 hours one afternoon while moving stuff in and out of the truck. the next couple of days the truck had all the same warning lights coming on, but the truck would easily start up. also, it would only drive in access mode height. new battery fixed everything.

ironically, while driving my wife's lexus IS that same week i hit a *** hole and blew out one of her low profile tires. we haven't switched vehicles since.:smile:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I talked to my Service Rep and I'm going to have them check the batt and computer for any latent faults tomorrow morning.

It definitely sounds electrical but I don't want to be dismissive of the problem because if that happens on a trail, I'm screwed!

What sucks is that the battery is relatively new. Maybe one year old. I wonder if I can re-charge it on a trickle-charger or something...

bobby

Reaction score
Having the same EXACT issue.

I am right there with you on this one. Started about a month ago with my 05 (82k miles). Only does it about once a week. Cannot replicate for the dealership. Battery might be a year and a half years old. Will check on it later this afternoon. Cant hurt I guess. Please keep us updated if you find anything that works.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bobby...does it only happen at highway speeds?

So here is what the dealer found and was corroborated by info on the disco3.uk board by several other posters as well. It can be one of two things:

1. Steering angle sensor.
2. Brake switch.

Item 1 is a re-calibration fix. In some cases it could need replacing but so far most have just gotten it re-cal'd. Item 2 is a $15 part and it can be a DIY deal. Yesterday I had the dealer do BOTH just to be sure and I paid $125. I have an extended warranty with a $100 deductible....so that's the cost of the part and the labor was sunk into the deductible. Plus tax!

I feel fairly confident that this should take care of it. When you take your rig in for the 90k check-up, maybe you can talk them into looking for the steering angle sensor fault and re-calibrating it while they're "already inside" the engine.

My dealership is Seattle Landrover and in my opinion their Service Department is top-notch.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check battery after that mabie height sensor acting up. Just a guess.

drewman75

Reaction score
Yup, same exact thing happened to me over the winter. Same symptoms to a T. Was the break switch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM