Removing full length roof rails for a Baja rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rather than get half rails I was going to just remove my full ones and get the extra bracket with the Baja rack. A question for those of you who have done this, will I need anything else to put where the rails were or do I just remove them and add the new rack?

BTW:
WTS: full length black rails for $350 plus shipping or $400 shipped.
WTB: Baja or similar rack

Thanks in advance!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it just last month and it's very easy! NO need at all to remove the full-length roof rails or buy the half rails. You will want to buy the kit that is used with the half rails and you will be fine.

I have a 2013 with black design package, so it had full-length roof rails. The guys at Baja rack told me over and over it was impossible, but that is NOT right. I actually have been talking with John over at Baja to update their instructions.

I also have some photos I will send to you if needed.

You basically remove ONLY the front of the rail (the foot that goes into the roof). There are a few bolts you loosen and then you can just pull off the front leg. It's VERY easy! The only negative part is that the rail is there, which is fine because it's not noticeable at all. If you really hate it, you can saw it off, but I would just leave it. It's actually nice because you do not need to remove any trim, the hole toward the front is already there and everything is ready to bolt!

If you want to text me for further information, send me a PM.

Also, I see you sent me a PM about my Urban Offroad rack, but it did sell to someone in my local rover club. With that said, I HIGHLY recommend going with the Baja - I can give you more information why if you wish.

I hope this helps!

68F43FE7-81CC-4BEA-B4C7-641267782EDA_zpsmd0hoajt.jpg

6F6FF461-B8CA-4DA4-9B3A-514559363E6C_zpszgdc4hdp.jpg

B325ECF9-D6CA-4BEA-BED1-65B3F171A5A1_zpsc2zhh3ei.jpg

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, that's a big help! I saw your reply on the other thread and you mentioned that you had them make it wider than normal, was that perhaps why it worked with the longer rail?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, that's a big help! I saw your reply on the other thread and you mentioned that you had them make it wider than normal, was that perhaps why it worked with the longer rail?
That's a good point, but I still think the 48" would work as well - there seems to be plenty of room. I am currently visiting family in MA and will not be back West until Tuesday and I can measure for you. Either way, I would get the 50".

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I wonder if they changed that to their standard, I just looked at their site and it gives these dimensions:
Measurements outside Frame: 50”(1270 mm) Wide x 92” (2336.8 mm) Long x 5” (127mm) tall

But you may be giving the inside width?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I wonder if they changed that to their standard, I just looked at their site and it gives these dimensions:
Measurements outside Frame: 50”(1270 mm) Wide x 92” (2336.8 mm) Long x 5” (127mm) tall

But you may be giving the inside width?
Hmmm... that could be the case, I think I mean the inside, but I would definitely ask John. Tell him you want the same rack that I ordered (David West). If you tell him you want the rack 50" wide he gets that request often. They may have actually gone that route anyway because he said a few people have asked him about it.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok will do bud. Was gonna order a shovel/axe mount too. I assume you can mount 2 tools per set of these mounts? One on top and one on bottom?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok will do bud. Was gonna order a shovel/axe mount too. I assume you can mount 2 tools per set of these mounts? One on top and one on bottom?
Yes, the shovel/axe mount accommodates 2 tools (parallel). If you plan to carry a Hi Lift Jack, then the Baja mount is awesome.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo