Removing full length roof rails for a Baja rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks again for the help here man!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks again for the help here man!
Anytime!!!

I was fully prepared to have to do some cutting and fabrication, but the install was amazingly easy. Those front caps/feet on the full-length roof rails are very easily removed. Once they are removed, you can slide the brackets down the rear rails easily and then the other front brackets install into the same hole in which the front full-length roof rail feet screwed into. I saved my front feet to the full-length rails, as they can easily be put back on if I never wanted to remove the rack and go back to stock.

I was so happy to not have to remove the rails because they were from the factory and did not want to cause any issues.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but getting some $ for them to help out with the new rack sure was tempting! :) Considered doing any lights on the rack? I was going to mount some to the wind deflector. Seems it is sturdy enough as I see some pics on their site where they mounted a slim 40"ish LED bar to it.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it just last month and it's very easy! NO need at all to remove the full-length roof rails or buy the half rails. You will want to buy the kit that is used with the half rails and you will be fine.

That's actually awesome news. I want the Baja rack, but was put off by the thought of needing to remove my full length roof rails. Thanks for the tip!!

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. How much taller is the Baja rack above the top of the oem roof rail?

I've got about 8" of space from the top of my extended roof rails to the top of the garage door entrance. On bajas website the rack itself is listed as 5" tall but the description says to expect a 7.5" gain in height.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. How much taller is the Baja rack above the top of the oem roof rail?

I've got about 8" of space from the top of my extended roof rails to the top of the garage door entrance. On bajas website the rack itself is listed as 5" tall but the description says to expect a 7.5" gain in height.

If you have 8" of space above your existing rails you will be pretty tight but you should clear. I actually still have my rails on and I just went and measured and at the peak of the rack it raises up right at 7" above the rails.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arrgh bummer!!
1" - 1.5" of clearance just feels too close for comfort.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo