Replacing Stock Air Box with Round K&N Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernrover

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm thinking of replacing the stock air box in my 07 LR3 with the 4.4 V8, with a round K&N high flow air filter. Basically, I would leave everything from the stock air box back (including the MAP sensor) in place and only replace the air box.

I've read through several posts here on whether this is a good idea, and on whether these Rover engines can handle the increased availability of air. I don't see anything definitive, and would like to ask for some input. It's my understanding that most modern automotive computers can handle additional air, and will regulate to the new conditions up to a point.

Can the stock computer handle the increased availability of air? Are there any other considerations to take into account?

Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't find anything definitive? I seem to recall many posts about people having trouble after having switched to a K&N Filter. I'd suggest not doing it.

southernrover

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Yes, that seems to be the general consensus, but it also seems that in every thread there's a post or two which seems to leave the question open. Some people say it messes with the MAP sensor, others say it doesn't. Some say the truck can't handle it, others say it can.

Logically, it seems this would work with no problem. I've done it to several vehicles, and I know folks do this type up upgrade to trucks all the time. Would like something a bit more definitive, maybe someone knows of a specific reason this won't work or won't work well..maybe the onboard computer can't handle it, or maybe the MAP sensor can't deal with the extra flow for some technical reason?

southernrover

Reaction score
For anyone who may run across this, I checked on this forum here: http://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/k-n-air-filter-good-bad-lr3-19493/which seems to indicate pretty definitively, that the MAF sensor will be ruined by the K&N type filter.

"K&N air filters will **** any Bosch MAF within months of installation, don't do it."

"Exactly what happened to my MAF sensor after about a month of running K&N. The dealer was nice and changed it under warranty without raising a big stink about it, but the tech did tell me aside that the K&N was the culprit and they put a new LR filter and gave me the K&N back. On a side note, I didn't notice any better milage nor better power with the K&N the month I had it in."

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that's what you meant. I don't think there is a good explanation as to why this seems to not work well with LR3s. I thought I read something related to the oil that is used upon install of the filter. Did you come across that? Like if someone used too much or too little it hosed things up. I honestly don't remember because I dismissed the idea early on under the "if it ain't broke..." clause.

Why would you really want to do this, anyway? What is the (performance or cost) advantage?

southernrover

Reaction score
Yes, I had heard some folks say the MAF sensor can get damaged by the K&N's, then I read other posts saying that it was impossible for that to happen. Seems more think it does damage them, than think it doesn't, so I may stick with the safer option.

Reason to install one would be a small improvement in horsepower, slightly better fuel millage and they sound way better than stock too.

For the money, there's no better way to improve power.

Are there other good ways to get a bit more power out of these engines? I don't think they're under powered, but I always like to hear new ideas!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it can be substantiated that a K&N can be used safely in our 4.4L engines AND yield those improvements you list, I may be interested myself!

I ran one way back when...1990 maybe, in my '84 Ford Bronco II. I can't honestly say I felt or heard any difference.

southernrover

Reaction score
K&N swears up and down that it's impossible for their filter oil to come off and damage an MAF sensor. They write about it all over the Internet, and I even found this video with a test to determine if filter oil could come off their filters and they found it couldn't. Makes me wonder if any independent tests have been done.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, the last one I ran was in an old Bronco as well. There was no way I could tell any difference. I seriously doubt anyone could tell they had one in their LR, performance OR sound. I say go for it if you want, it sounds like you do. Take it back out when/if you have to clean your MAF or you find there's no difference.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635